Columbian silkies?

Quote:
Laura,
You don't need to cross breed to get the color. Easy to get the color already in a purebred. Here is the one I had, Juan.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn0266.jpg
April

Wouldn't your Silkie in the picture be a Black Tailed White since it lacks the Black in the hackles?

Here is a picture of a Black Tailed White -- (Not My Bird)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/33115_blacktailedwhitec.jpg

Here is a Columbian -- (Not My Bird)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/33115_ccolumbian.jpg

Columbian (Pattern) feathers -- (from American Standard of Perfection
00a9.png
2001)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/33115_dsc_0016.jpg

Chris

You don't need to show me what a Columbian ( in another breed) looks like. I have the Best Bantam Columbian Wyandotte from the Ohio National last year in my backyard. Yes a TRUE Columbian Silkie would have to have the hackle color. But the fact that the bird in the picture was a 1st gen bird, it is where I would start IF I were trying to get the color in a silkie, and keep it a pure bred bird, and not spend years crossing into another breed. I posted the bird so that rilly10 could see that there was a "shortcut" if she wanted to product the color, and not spend years trying to get the basic color started.

Brody's Broodello :

You don't need to show me what a Columbian ( in another breed) looks like. I have the Best Bantam Columbian Wyandotte from the Ohio National last year in my backyard. Yes a TRUE Columbian Silkie would have to have the hackle color. But the fact that the bird in the picture was a 1st gen bird, it is where I would start IF I were trying to get the color in a silkie, and keep it a pure bred bird, and not spend years crossing into another breed. I posted the bird so that rilly10 could see that there was a "shortcut" if she wanted to product the color, and not spend years trying to get the basic color started.

If the Bird in the picture was a F1 then why didn't you state it was a F1?
You stated, "You don't need to cross breed to get the color. Easy to get the color already in a purebred. Here is the one I had, Juan."
The way you wrought that makes it sound like you are saying that the bird in the picture is a, " Columbian" and not a F1.

"You don't need to show me what a Columbian ( in another breed) looks like."
Will since the Columbian (and "Light") pattern is that same in all breeds it shouldn't really matter what breed is posted to show what a true Columbian or a Black Tailed White would look like...

You said, "I have the Best Bantam Columbian Wyandotte from the Ohio National last year in my backyard".
My question is, did you buy the bird or are you the breeder? (there is a difference) If your are the breeder then congratulations.

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:
If the Bird in the picture was a F1 then why didn't you state it was a F1?
You stated, "You don't need to cross breed to get the color. Easy to get the color already in a purebred. Here is the one I had, Juan."
The way you wrought that makes it sound like you are saying that the bird in the picture is a, " Columbian" and not a F1.

"You don't need to show me what a Columbian ( in another breed) looks like."
Will since the Columbian (and "Light") pattern is that same in all breeds it shouldn't really matter what breed is posted to show what a true Columbian or a Black Tailed White would look like...

You said, "I have the Best Bantam Columbian Wyandotte from the Ohio National last year in my backyard".
My question is, did you buy the bird or are you the breeder? (there is a difference) If your are the breeder then congratulations.

Chris

We breed Wynadottes In Columbian, Black, White & Silverlaced. Have done so for years and have the show results to prove it, as well as Silkies. If you want to see some of our birds feel free to check out my website.

My comments with the photo were directed to rilly10, and and questions she would have I would have to me I would have given full details to. Did not think I would have to explain every aspect of a bird & it's breeding to everyone since most people skim the posts anyway. If anyone wanted to know more, all they would have to do is ask.

The bird was shown and was decided by the judges that yes it was as close to a "Columbian" as was possible in a Silkie without being crossed for the pattern. It was stated to me by a judge that it was a good "start".

People who have been breeding Porcelain silkies have commented on this site before on the "columbian" pattern popping up from the Buff/Lav crosses.

Really interesting info everyone! I would love to hear everyone's opinions! Since this is a new project for me there is no right or wrong way to do it! I value everyone's experiences and hope to hear how everyone would go about this is their own way! Since it is a project I would not expect to see perfect silkies with perfect columbian pattern right away!

Please keep this thread friendly and KEEP the awesome info coming! I am really learning a lot here! Thanks everyone!

Brody's Broodello :

People who have been breeding Porcelain silkies have commented on this site before on the "columbian" pattern popping up from the Buff/Lav crosses.

This is very intersting to me specifically since I am already working with Lavs and porcelains! I hope some of these beauties pop up natrually as I am working on Lavs and porcelains!

I wonder if these chicks from the buff X Lav breedings if bred together would breed true?

Maybe I will keep an eye out for these in my breedings and also use some extra buff hens and try a columbian cochin roo over them as an experiment. I know a lot of people liek silkie cochin crosses for broodys so hopefully I would have an avenue to sell of the "cull chicks".​

OH SAM!!! That is the picture that got me started on this idea! They are stunning! Please share their backrounds if you know! I searched for your post on them but couldn't find it! I WANT SOME!!!!
love.gif

Quote:
Laura,
You don't need to cross breed to get the color. Easy to get the color already in a purebred. Here is the one I had, Juan.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn0266.jpg
April

Wouldn't your Silkie in the picture be a Black Tailed White since it lacks the Black in the hackles?

Chris

Thank you for pointing that out, Chris. There are many people here who are children or brand new to poultry, and it is important to use the correct terminology so misinformation isn't spread. While I think that the silkie is generally best suited for solid colors rather than color patterns (read the gray standard and try to find a bird that matches it,.. same with male partridge), I think the columbian would be a bit more suited to conversion to silkies.

Patterns are in silkies because it is tough to see pattern in such a silkie/fluffy bird.. not easy to see lacing.

Back
Top Bottom