Comb and Wattle problems

Chickem707

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
1.Most of my chickens have a rather scaly comb

2. One of my cockerels wattles is smaller than the other

3. Another cockerel has one normal wattle and one shriveled up one, about half the size

4. The same cockerel has little white spots on the points of his comb

5. One of my cream legbar pullets has a comb that keeps getting more ‘curly’

I don’t think any of this is normal, as imput is appreciated.

Attachments

• E3D40B55-866E-4DF1-BA80-5A3D3E71E912.png
    E3D40B55-866E-4DF1-BA80-5A3D3E71E912.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 41
  • F130323D-2F7E-4408-89A6-661AE102FCE0.png
    F130323D-2F7E-4408-89A6-661AE102FCE0.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 22
  • CA58E786-F59D-4E46-95BC-8298ED5D4F64.png
    CA58E786-F59D-4E46-95BC-8298ED5D4F64.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 6D3FCDF4-4EB1-4E07-9379-552619EE8BD5.png
    6D3FCDF4-4EB1-4E07-9379-552619EE8BD5.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • E904707B-32DC-48FD-A204-F8BFAB9DEBB9.png
    E904707B-32DC-48FD-A204-F8BFAB9DEBB9.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 19
5. One of my cream legbar pullets has a comb that keeps getting more ‘curly’
Cresting can cause curly combs... I never judge until they are done maturing mostly.

2. One of my cockerels wattles is smaller than the other
Could be bad genetics or indicator of something else.

We processed a boy with two different sized waddles and his testis reflected the same thing!

Please note, in the pics of your CCL pullet she has heavy feather damage likely caused by lice or mites. I would suggest that you get this treated if you have not already done so. I know you are here looking for answers, so not sure if that has already been covered or not.

Sorry not sure about the white spots.

Cresting can cause curly combs... I never judge until they are done maturing mostly.

Could be bad genetics or indicator of something else.

We processed a boy with two different sized waddles and his testis reflected the same thing!

Please note, in the pics of your CCL pullet she has heavy feather damage likely caused by lice or mites. I would suggest that you get this treated if you have not already done so. I know you are here looking for answers, so not sure if that has already been covered or not.

Sorry not sure about the white spots.
Thank you, i check them all for mites most days, it must be those ones that hide out in the coop.

Thank you, i check them all for mites most days, it must be those ones that hide out in the coop.
They can be super easy to miss if not being checked after dark with a flashlight.

Only reason I can say anything is because I deal with it and recognize. Can you see how there are no barbs holding the ends of the feather together giving them a frayed look. Your cockerel with the shriveled waddle has it to. If they were older birds that were approaching molt, I might think standard wear and tear... but not that much for that age. You can see it well when you zoom in on the pics.

I don't see your location (707, Ca?)... but permethrin is a good product. I like the spray better than powder as it is easier to use and stays with the birds instead of into the air when they shake out. When used according to directions, requires no withdrawal time for eggs. Good luck!

They can be super easy to miss if not being checked after dark with a flashlight.

Only reason I can say anything is because I deal with it and recognize. Can you see how there are no barbs holding the ends of the feather together giving them a frayed look. Your cockerel with the shriveled waddle has it to. If they were older birds that were approaching molt, I might think standard wear and tear... but not that much for that age. You can see it well when you zoom in on the pics.

I don't see your location (707, Ca?)... but permethrin is a good product. I like the spray better than powder as it is easier to use and stays with the birds instead of into the air when they shake out. When used according to directions, requires no withdrawal time for eggs. Good luck!
Uk :) I’m pretty sure my local feed store has some kind of mite thing, I’ll investigate it tomorrow,see if it’ll work, and thanks again

Greetings Chickem707,

Your young chickens look generally, healthy.

But, the white spots on the second picture is favus, a common fungal infection. It is at a mild stage, but should be attended to, before it gets out of control.

Fungal and yeast infections can be difficult, so you may have to try different remedies.There are different treatments you can use, but here is what I have used.

You can apply an antifungal, like Miconazole Nitrate or use some colloidal silver in a spray bottle. I have used both, and now prefer the colloidal silver(sold online or in health food stores). I use 1100 ppm, strength, 3 drops in an 8 oz. spray bottle of water. Just give them a spritz a few times a day, for the first two days, then twice a day for a few days, then once a day till clear. If you choose to use the Miconazole Nitrate (purchase at any drug store), apply twice a day for three days, then once a day till clear.

Favus can cause the bird to lose feathers on the head and neck. It is contagious within the flock. You should wash your hands after handling the birds.

Many times when a chicken develops a fungal or yeast problem, it can be due to stress from something else, or during, or after, an illness. This is because the chicken's immune system may be overburdened.

Add some vitamins, to boost your flock's immune system.

These are my thoughts on your chicken's comb and wattles. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Greetings Chickem707,

Your young chickens look generally, healthy.

But, the white spots on the second picture is favus, a common fungal infection. It is at a mild stage, but should be attended to, before it gets out of control.

Fungal and yeast infections can be difficult, so you may have to try different remedies.There are different treatments you can use, but here is what I have used.

You can apply an antifungal, like Miconazole Nitrate or use some colloidal silver in a spray bottle. I have used both, and now prefer the colloidal silver(sold online or in health food stores). I use 1100 ppm, strength, 3 drops in an 8 oz. spray bottle of water. Just give them a spritz a few times a day, for the first two days, then twice a day for a few days, then once a day till clear. If you choose to use the Miconazole Nitrate (purchase at any drug store), apply twice a day for three days, then once a day till clear.

Favus can cause the bird to lose feathers on the head and neck. It is contagious within the flock. You should wash your hands after handling the birds.

Many times when a chicken develops a fungal or yeast problem, it can be due to stress from something else, or during, or after, an illness. This is because the chicken's immune system may be overburdened.

Add some vitamins, to boost your flock's immune system.

These are my thoughts on your chicken's comb and wattles. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)
They’re currently on vitamins due to another chick being ‘ill’, but i will definitely look into remedies, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom