Comb development to first egg!

Pics
Jul 3, 2023
Australia
Sharing my compilation of photos of my pullet's comb getting redder before her first egg!
I was one of those searching for "When will my pullet lay?" and "Signs pullet is close to laying." šŸ¤£ while awaiting my first blue eggs from the pair of pullets sold to me as Araucanas. I documented the progression of her reddening face and comb as I am in Australia in the middle of winter, and hoping for eggs asap after winter solstice.
Behaviour and signs before first egg:
1. She never squatted (no rooster) but all my hens are skittish.
2. She showed NO interest in the nesting boxes until the very afternoon she laid.
3. She was extra talkative and loud that afternoon, looking around the coop and even jumping up the roosts as if she was looking for something. She quietened to normal as soon as she laid.
4. Her comb and face started reddening 3 weeks before she started laying.
5. She laid 4 days after a vent check showed there was 3 fingers width between her pelvic bones, and her vent looked larger and redder than her non-laying sister.

They are Australian Araucanas, meaning they have a tail, although this particular Blue pullet is not true to type by missing a crest.

L: 17 weeks, R: 16 weeks
20230704_200432.jpg

L: 22 weeks, R: 20 weeks
20230704_200144.jpg

L: 25 weeks, R: 23 weeks
20230704_195147.jpg

26-27weeks
20230704_194736.jpg

29.5 weeks (laid!) - see the difference between her pink comb and the brilliant red of the Barnevelder behind?
20230704_194449.jpg

Annnnd.... here's her not-blue egg(!!).
20230703_161144.jpg

Apparently I have a mutt instead of an Araucana, and I have gotten in touch with the breeder for this. To say I am disappointed is an understatement (after all the obsessive photos) and I am desperately hoping her sister gives me a blue egg.šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

Hope these photos are of interest to other eager newbies like me šŸ˜ƒ

Last edited:
Great pictures! My pullets are 17 weeks and several have bright red combs and earlobes so I am anxiously awaiting some eggs. Questions: did they lay in nesting boxes or somewhere else? Did they lay in the morning or later? My older hens lay first thing in the morning but I donā€™t know if I should be checking the coop obsessively like I do and/or check around the coop in case they are laying outside (door opens at 9:00, midsummer in CA)

Great pictures! My pullets are 17 weeks and several have bright red combs and earlobes so I am anxiously awaiting some eggs. Questions: did they lay in nesting boxes or somewhere else? Did they lay in the morning or later? My older hens lay first thing in the morning but I donā€™t know if I should be checking the coop obsessively like I do and/or check around the coop in case they are laying outside (door opens at 9:00, midsummer in CA)
Coincidentally, both my Barnevelder and this Blue pullet laid their first eggs in the afternoon after 3pm.
The Barnevelder laid in the nesting box. This Blue one made a nest in the nesting box, but ending up dropping the egg in the run at the spot where they usually hang out to peek at me.
What breed are your pullets?

@Hellomylittleladies congratulations on your hens first egg :)

thank you for the pictures - I am in Canberra and we just had our first egg from a light Sussex we think.

I have some Easter eggers and some olive eggers - I noticed your one even has a pea comb and still laid a non blue egg! One of my olive eggers looks just like her! I think theyā€™re a few weeks off laying based on your images.

@Draya mine laid in their nesting box first go - I had fake eggs in there and I have no idea of it helped or not!

Coincidentally, both my Barnevelder and this Blue pullet laid their first eggs in the afternoon after 3pm.
The Barnevelder laid in the nesting box. This Blue one made a nest in the nesting box, but ending up dropping the egg in the run at the spot where they usually hang out to peek at me.
What breed are your pullets?
I have a mixed flock (19 pullets), but one of my white leghorns looks super ready to lay but her 3 ā€œsistersā€ donā€™t. I think my orpingtons and some of my other layers too. They free range, but go in and out of the coop all day. Iā€™m just concerned with an egg being laid on the floor and then pecked or stepped on and eaten, and Iā€™ll never know it was laid :(

thank you for the pictures - I am in Canberra and we just had our first egg from a light Sussex we think.

I have some Easter eggers and some olive eggers - I noticed your one even has a pea comb and still laid a non blue egg! One of my olive eggers looks just like her! I think theyā€™re a few weeks off laying based on your images.

@Draya mine laid in their nesting box first go - I had fake eggs in there and I have no idea of it helped or not!

Thatā€™s good to hear. My current layers (Golden Comets 10ish months old) laid on the floor of the coop (the old coop with an enclosed run, no free ranging) but there were only 4 of them so much less traffic. I do have fake eggs in the nesting boxes so weā€™ll see. Iā€™m just anticipating more eggs and new colors.

Thatā€™s good to hear. My current layers (Golden Comets 10ish months old) laid on the floor of the coop (the old coop with an enclosed run, no free ranging) but there were only 4 of them so much less traffic. I do have fake eggs in the nesting boxes so weā€™ll see. Iā€™m just anticipating more eggs and new colors.
Yes I am hoping for more eggs and new colours too! Fingers crossed for us

@Hellomylittleladies

Here are my 25 weekers:

White Sussex (just started to lay)
Lavender araucana
Polish hen (hard to see I know)
Black copper maran

Not all the same red as the Sussex.

Attachments

• A126B7A6-8BF8-4C12-B1B5-7FFE384B4DB6.jpeg
    A126B7A6-8BF8-4C12-B1B5-7FFE384B4DB6.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 19