Comb development to first egg!

The splash marans definately does. Except she has her whole life🤣. My welsummer is a solid maybe/sometimes.
I think that means in a week (or 3) I am still waiting for my Ara and she has been squatting for 3 weeks. But my olive egger squatted and laid within a week! Fingers crossed it’s soon!

We noticed our Black cooper marans squatted yesterday so I’ll know how long that is too.

Theyre 18 weeks. I know that prob means no, but they look like they're getting close to me? But this is my first time so I honestly have no clue what exactly I'm looking for.
My mixed flock started laying closer to 20 weeks. I went out of town and they started laying for my husband. I think I put too much pressure on them LOL
Only one green egg though, I think the colored layers take longer.

Theyre 18 weeks. I know that prob means no, but they look like they're getting close to me? But this is my first time so I honestly have no clue what exactly I'm looking for.
I have little experience myself, but one of mine laid a couple of weeks after her peacomb reddened and plumped up, while the other was as red and took 1.5months longer. And neither squatted! 😅

My head hen, a Barnevelder, stopped squatting when she took a break for the winter. Once she squatted again, I had eggs in about a week.

I will say though, that the pelvic bone check was the strongest indicator for me and the most difficult (and hilarious) way. When there was 2 fingers' width between the bones, they laid within a few days. One of them was 3 fingers' width when I checked, and laid the next day.

I think that means in a week (or 3) I am still waiting for my Ara and she has been squatting for 3 weeks. But my olive egger squatted and laid within a week! Fingers crossed it’s soon!

We noticed our Black cooper marans squatted yesterday so I’ll know how long that is too.
Did you get any more eggs from your olive egger? Any change in the colour?

We noticed our Black cooper marans squatted yesterday so I’ll know how long
I also have a rooster so I'm not sure how that's going to factor in. Hes the same age as them though and I dont think he (or any of the ladies for that matter) exactly know that he is a rooster yet. He just acts like a big chicken so far lol

I have little experience myself, but one of mine laid a couple of weeks after her peacomb reddened and plumped up, while the other was as red and took 1.5months longer. And neither squatted! 😅

My head hen, a Barnevelder, stopped squatting when she took a break for the winter. Once she squatted again, I had eggs in about a week.

I will say though, that the pelvic bone check was the strongest indicator for me and the most difficult (and hilarious) way. When there was 2 fingers' width between the bones, they laid within a few days. One of them was 3 fingers' width when I checked, and laid the next day.
I tried that and am not super confident in my findings 🤣

Back
Top Bottom