Comb Genetics

does any one know if silver spangled hamburgs are RR orRr, i have some dorking/hamburgs and the offspring have a mix of both comb types
Hamburgs are ideally R/R, but as with any rose comb breed, you may have some that are heterozygous.

Ryan

Are buttercup combs dominant like a pea comb? I have this boy i picked up at auction, i have no idea his parents.........The biggest question i have is if this comb is incompletely inherited from a pea comb or a single comb cross, what will happen if i cross back to a pea comb?

Your rooster appears to have a pea comb with one duplex allele. If you cross him with homogeneous pea comb hens, half of the offspring will inherit the duplex allele and half will not. The half that do could have a large variation of comb shapes, but will generally have some kind of division in the comb.

Your rooster appears to have a pea comb with one duplex allele. If you cross him with homogeneous pea comb hens, half of the offspring will inherit the duplex allele and half will not. The half that do could have a large variation of comb shapes, but will generally have some kind of division in the comb.

My work agrees with the above quote.

The duplex v comb allele is incompletely dominant to the wild type allele ( both found at the duplex locus). I have had all kinds of variation in the expression of birds that were heterozygous for duplex comb. No pea comb was involved in my crosses.The duplex buttercup allele is also found at the duplex locus.

The carnation comb looks like a mutation at the duplex locus. Can not say much more because I have not worked with the carnation comb.

The pea comb allele is incompletely dominant to the wild type allele found at the pea comb locus. I made all kinds of crosses with single comb birds and pea comb birds. Lots of variation in comb size and shapes.

The expression of the rose comb allele is altered by another gene set. This other set of genes can cause a rose comb to be rough or smooth.

Tim

Last edited:
hi, what will be if you cross V comb with pure pea comb?
will it be butter cub?

hi, what will be if you cross V comb with pure pea comb?
will it be butter cub?

No, butter cup is caused by a specific gene and is not due to hybridization. I have not made a v comb and pea comb cross but i would imagine it would be similar to a the bird in post number 53.

Tim

Last edited:
My work agrees with the above quote.

The duplex v comb allele is incompletely dominant to the wild type allele ( both found at the duplex locus). I have had all kinds of variation in the expression of birds that were heterozygous for duplex comb. No pea comb was involved in my crosses.The duplex buttercup allele is also found at the duplex locus.

The carnation comb looks like a mutation at the duplex locus. Can not say much more because I have not worked with the carnation comb.

The pea comb allele is incompletely dominant to the wild type allele found at the pea comb locus. I made all kinds of crosses with single comb birds and pea comb birds. Lots of variation in comb size and shapes.

The expression of the rose comb allele is altered by another gene set. This other set of genes can cause a rose comb to be rough or smooth.

Tim

Tim do you know what the genetics are for the type of comb Minohiki breed has, I understand it is walnut but it has an indentation, do you know what genes cause that?

Back
Top Bottom