Combs injured on hardware cloth

bateshomesteaddream

In the Brooder
May 19, 2019
Let me start out by saying we are new to chicken owning. We have six 4 wk old chicks. Yesterday & today we put them in their run for a little out door time during the day. Today when we went out to bring them back into their brooder (the spare bathroom) we saw that all 6 of them have scratched their combs. We can only assume it was due to pecking @ things through the half inch hardware cloth. We have taken care of their poor little noses but is this normal?

Did you observe them? Generally they cannot stick their heads through the wire. There may be some other reason for the injuries.

I would watch for pecking and them jumping on each other. When i put my little ones out for the first time, they would fight over bugs. It was so cute watching them run around trying to catch them. But that could be a cause there wounds.

They were pulling plants through the half inch squares. I will look over everything more carefully tomorrow. Thanks.
Since we work all week they won't get any out door time till Saturday & by then maybe they will be ready for their move to the coop/run. :D

Back
Top Bottom