Combs injured on hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bateshomesteaddream, May 19, 2019.

1. bateshomesteaddream

bateshomesteaddream Hatching

May 19, 2019
    Let me start out by saying we are new to chicken owning. We have six 4 wk old chicks. Yesterday & today we put them in their run for a little out door time during the day. Today when we went out to bring them back into their brooder (the spare bathroom) we saw that all 6 of them have scratched their combs. We can only assume it was due to pecking @ things through the half inch hardware cloth. We have taken care of their poor little noses but is this normal?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I'd look for any sharp edges out there first, tomorrow. Maybe just one wire sticking out or something. They are unlikely to injure themselves on hardware cloth in a normal position.
    Mary

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Did you observe them? Generally they cannot stick their heads through the wire. There may be some other reason for the injuries.

4. Xlcandylx

Xlcandylx Songster

Aug 29, 2017
    Bells texas
    I would watch for pecking and them jumping on each other. When i put my little ones out for the first time, they would fight over bugs. It was so cute watching them run around trying to catch them. But that could be a cause there wounds.

5. bateshomesteaddream

bateshomesteaddream Hatching

May 19, 2019
    They were pulling plants through the half inch squares. I will look over everything more carefully tomorrow. Thanks.
    Since we work all week they won't get any out door time till Saturday & by then maybe they will be ready for their move to the coop/run. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: