Common quail chick

Pics

Quailophilic

Songster
Jun 27, 2020
Pakistan
Hi guys! Today my neighbours boy came home and gave me this lill chick.
IMG20200822192617.jpg IMG20200822193122.jpg IMG20200822193130.jpg IMG20200822193143.jpg IMG20200822193149.jpg
He told me that they had gone to their farmhouse today and found this chick alone, they tried to find its mother, but couldn't find its mother or its siblings. They couldn't even find its nest. So they took it home. They are inexperienced with birds so he took it to me as he knew i keep quails. Well i keep coturnix japonica while this baby is of coturnix coturnix, the common quail which is very small than Japanese quails. This baby looks like 4-5 days old, it has grown feathers and wings. But it is still very tiny. It is sleepy and chirping a lot. Standing still. Doesn't eat. My chicks aren't ready to accompany her. So it is all alone. What should i do now with this tiny alone sleepy chick.?? Any kind of advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a single coturnix chick (terrible hatch and all its siblings died) about 4 days old, that’s in a small cardboard box brooder. It has a fuzzy sock under the mama heating pad and I gave it a little mirror... and other enrichment things. It comes out of its brooder first thing when I get up and I carry it around with me while I do my morning chores, then it goes back in its brooder while I’m gone to work. Same deal in the evening when I get home. It does have a duckling in the brooder below so they peep to each other, but it’s way too small to go in with a bigger chick, so... 🤷🏼‍♀️ They seem to handle being alone better than the ducklings or chicken chicks do.

I would make sure it has plenty of heat - more than a normal group of quail chicks get because it’s a loner.
If you can get some sugar water or electrolyte water into it that may help - it’s also probably shocky after the ordeal so supportive care all the way. Boiled and mashed egg yolk might be enticing; I do find my little one prefers to stay under the heating pad to eat and drink so I make sure everything is available to it under there. :)

keep in mind that wild bird babies often don’t make it when brought inside; too much stress on their tiny bodies. Others do thrive though, so good luck!!🤞🤞

I have a single coturnix chick (terrible hatch and all its siblings died) about 4 days old, that’s in a small cardboard box brooder. It has a fuzzy sock under the mama heating pad and I gave it a little mirror... and other enrichment things. It comes out of its brooder first thing when I get up and I carry it around with me while I do my morning chores, then it goes back in its brooder while I’m gone to work. Same deal in the evening when I get home. It does have a duckling in the brooder below so they peep to each other, but it’s way too small to go in with a bigger chick, so... 🤷🏼‍♀️ They seem to handle being alone better than the ducklings or chicken chicks do.

I would make sure it has plenty of heat - more than a normal group of quail chicks get because it’s a loner.
If you can get some sugar water or electrolyte water into it that may help - it’s also probably shocky after the ordeal so supportive care all the way. Boiled and mashed egg yolk might be enticing; I do find my little one prefers to stay under the heating pad to eat and drink so I make sure everything is available to it under there. :)

keep in mind that wild bird babies often don’t make it when brought inside; too much stress on their tiny bodies. Others do thrive though, so good luck!!🤞🤞
Sugar water ????? For a quail ?? Really ?

A dehydrated, shocky, cold chick - yes. Obviously not drown the thing in it but a little glucose boost isn’t going to harm it. There’s dextrose in electrolyte solutions though, so if that’s available use that. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Im just a bit shocked is all everything i ever read on donot give lists sugery stuff so i assumed pure sugar in water was bad huh guess u learn still

Im just a bit shocked is all everything i ever read on donot give lists sugery stuff so i assumed pure sugar in water was bad huh guess u learn still
I wouldn’t say to give sugar water constantly, lol, guess I should clarify that - but a drop or 2 of it with a weakened bird can help restore normal blood sugar levels and boost it a bit. :) similar to putting corn syrup on puppy gums, that kind of thing. 👍 not as a normal every day offering.

Back
Top Bottom