Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

Pics
This is fantastic! I have neen using garlic and cayenne but its a chore to mince all that garlic for as often as it seems to need done, how often and in what quantity do you give it to your chickens?
Interesting about the moon too! I'll have to try it!
I just ordered some Black Walnut Hulls, with Wormwood powdered capsules off Amazon to try and am starting with one capsule a day mixed in their feed, I wonder if it'd grow here? I debated when I saw it online and almost bought the seeds instead, I may have to try it!
Thank you once again for all your helpful tips!

Quote: You can get by on using granulated dried garlic but it is less effective and you run a higher risk of losing birds to disease.

Garlic can be crushed en mass in an appropriate tool, with the skins left on. Some people do it that way and don't report any problems. I used to worry about the peel blocking birds up but if it's all small enough it should be no more of an issue than green grass.

I give a maintenance dose of one clove per adult bird per day, for most days of the week or even all, but another option which I intend to look into and work at is growing garlic for them to freely eat. I'd protect the bulbs so they couldn't dig them up, and just let them eat the shoots, which have much of the same properties.

Another thing is that Rue is supposed to be even better than garlic for poultry, so I want to grow that.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I am a gardener, by profession, and I spend a lot of time working with ornamental and often-toxi plants. Toxic does not necessarily mean poisonous. One of my most regular jobs is on a very large property with huge gardens and a large chicken coop. The gal who owns the chickens has been keeping chickens for a long, long time. My general instructions are to put all yard waste into the chicken run. I think their chicken yard is bigger than my front yard!

Anyway, I have expressed concern at times over the past three years about potential harm to the chickens. But the woman believes it's no problem at all. She has not lost any hens to plant material. And all her girls are very healthy. And so I've observed that when I dump a load of material, the chickens jump on it, rip it apart, eat the young, tender whatevers, fight over the slugs and worms that I put in with the weeds, and then scatter the rest. I've never seen them eating tough, older plants (like rhodies or azaleas). I've also seen them taste stuff and reject it.

I do actually feed them some things, but the rest is just piles of waste for them to sort. And I do discard plants in a different brush pile that I am personally uncomfortable giving to them, including euphorbias, foxglove, nightshade.

Probably not a great idea to intentionally feed them tender shoots of harmful plants, but most of the items on this list are mostly like more toxic and irritating than deadly. All good stuff to know, but don't panic.

We have a number of these plants/vines/shrubs. My chickens don't bother with any of them. -only interested in eating the bugs from the soil around them and consuming lawn grass and berries from our blueberry, blackberry, and strawberry vines. Our Lantana garden is a favorite because it attracts numerous butterflies which the gals love. -don't care anything about the plants/flowers.

I think this list is good to take into consideration, but not something that is an "absolutely-don't-plant-these-items" guide.

In my yard I have many citrus trees, I hope that won't be a problem. What is your personal opinion about that
kind of trees
? Should I build a fence or something, or it isn't a big deal?

WOW! Great list! And to think I was going to plant a China Berry tree in my yard.... well, not anymore!

I didn't bother to read this whole thread as there have been many others like it.You can apply this response to all the other "won't plant" messages.
Go ahead & plant your China Berry if you want one. I guarantee it won't be a problem for your chickens. For one thing while the berries are toxic to humans IN QUANTITY, they are not toxic to birds. For another, in 50+ years of chicken keeping I have never known of chickens eaing anything that was harmful to them. There are a number of plants on that list that grow around my barn & the birds don't touch them. Unlike people, birds & animals have instinctive knowledge of what's harmful to the & what isn't.
Always be sceptical about info on the internet. Anyone can post anything. There's no editor & no fact checkers.

Back
Top Bottom