Concerned about egg

Aug 18, 2018
Hello!
I have been incubating 8 duck eggs. 6 have hatched since yesterday successfully. I have one that popped yesterday morning and was rocking yesterday but no more progress it’s been almost 48 hours now what do I do? Please help as I’m a first time hatcher.

Hello!
I have been incubating 8 duck eggs. 6 have hatched since yesterday successfully. I have one that popped yesterday morning and was rocking yesterday but no more progress it’s been almost 48 hours now what do I do? Please help as I’m a first time hatcher.
48 hours since it pipped or since the others hatched? Is the duckling cheeping or moving? What humidity is the incubator - is it possible that it is shrink wrapped?

Hello!
I'm about to go to bed. But if you think it's still alive then slowly chip away at the shell around the pip with tweezers. Stop if you see blood veins or yolk. Moisten the membrane with coconut oil. Do this in your bathroom, run the shower before hand to humidify the room. Do a little bit at a time and be patient. These articles will help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

48 hours since it pipped or since the others hatched? Is the duckling cheeping or moving? What humidity is the incubator - is it possible that it is shrink wrapped?
48 hours since that egg has pipped. The humidity is at 80 and we’ve managed to hold it steady at that for the last 24 hours. Yesterday it was moving . I’m unsure if it could be shrink wrapped. How do I tell that? Should we candle it?

48 hours since that egg has pipped. The humidity is at 80 and we’ve managed to hold it steady at that for the last 24 hours. Yesterday it was moving . I’m unsure if it could be shrink wrapped. How do I tell that? Should we candle it?
You can candle to see what’s going on. Did baby pip in the air cell end or pointy end ?
If outside the air cell these babies can take 48-72 hours to zip
If in the air cell end usually 24-48 hours
At this point I would candle and if baby is still ok I would make his pip a little bigger to see if he is still chewing
I’m usually able to check the veins if I put the candler on the side of the egg above the air cell
When hatching the babies move down into the air cell and this opens the area up yo see inside better

If the membrane looks opaque and it's white colour is starting to darken to a yellow/brown, it is shrink wrapped. But at the humidity you mentioned, it is unlikely it is shrink-wrapped. I agree with @New duck mommy 2021, candle and make the pip bigger to see what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom