They are well enough feathered that they do not need a heat lamp. Continuing to provide a heat lamp to chicks that don't need it can actually be counter productive. Your goal is to wean them from heat. By 3 weeks of age, they should be off heat if they are in your house. By 4 - 5 weeks old, if they have been hardened off correctly, they can be moved into the coop. (if they have not been raised in the coop from day 1) They would also benefit from more room. Full sized chicks should have 2 s.f. minimum per bird by the time they are 2 - 3 weeks old. Sounds like your chicks are now 4 - 6 weeks old!

Time to ditch the heat lamp. Yes, they will complain! Plan some outside day trips, working towards having them spend all day outside. Your location would be helpful for accurate advice. By 4 - 5 weeks of age, my LF chicks here in Maine wean themselves off heat, in May when temps can go down into 30's at night.

They are well enough feathered that they do not need a heat lamp. Continuing to provide a heat lamp to chicks that don't need it can actually be counter productive. Your goal is to wean them from heat. By 3 weeks of age, they should be off heat if they are in your house. By 4 - 5 weeks old, if they have been hardened off correctly, they can be moved into the coop. (if they have not been raised in the coop from day 1) They would also benefit from more room. Full sized chicks should have 2 s.f. minimum per bird by the time they are 2 - 3 weeks old. Sounds like your chicks are now 4 - 6 weeks old!

Time to ditch the heat lamp. Yes, they will complain! Plan some outside day trips, working towards having them spend all day outside. Your location would be helpful for accurate advice. By 4 - 5 weeks of age, my LF chicks here in Maine wean themselves off heat, in May when temps can go down into 30's at night.

I agree its time for a outside brooder.

We live in surprise, Arizona just north of Phoenix. At night it's around mid to low 50's right now. The two smaller ones looked feathered but the big black one still seems fluffy so I'm not sure what that means for them.

I like chick waterers that have a handle on top to hang them up, then as bedding gets deeper and chicks get taller I keep raising it higher. Same with feeders. If you can't find one then find a food storage box or something to put the water on. Ideally it'll be about back height to the chicks.

Agree I bet they were overheated. I switched to a 75 watt red reptile bulb after about 2 weeks. Other than first day after shipping into my cold damp climate I've always kept the 225 watt bulbs a good 30 inches up. They are just way too hot.

We have them outside right now just getting some fresh air. I turned the heat lamp off for a few minutes and they huddled together and kept squeaking. I turned it back on and now they're moving around. I still can't figure out of they are what you're calling feathered or not. Sorry I just wanna make sure I understand everything correctly. Also it says it's still 84° outside right now. Are they maybe just huddling and squeaking because they're used to the red light maybe?

Attachments

• 20171122_175247.jpg
    20171122_175247.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20171122_175240.jpg
    20171122_175240.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20171122_175234.jpg
    20171122_175234.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20171122_175229.jpg
    20171122_175229.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20171122_175150.jpg
    20171122_175150.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 8
We have them outside right now just getting some fresh air. I turned the heat lamp off for a few minutes and they huddled together and kept squeaking. I turned it back on and now they're moving around. I still can't figure out of they are what you're calling feathered or not. Sorry I just wanna make sure I understand everything correctly. Also it says it's still 84° outside right now. Are they maybe just huddling and squeaking because they're used to the red light maybe?
Those are older then a day do you know how many weeks they are they may not need a heat lamp it depends how old they are.

I know it's not the prettiest set up but they do seem happier with more room. I tried to stick my hand in one picture to help size the chicks.
They are bantams. The black one is a frizzle don't know breed on the others but the grayish one looks like I game hen. They would love day trips outside. People have given great advise so I will just let them continue.

Those are older then a day do you know how many weeks they are they may not need a heat lamp it depends how old they are.

That's the problem, I have no idea how old they are. The girls at the store said probably 2-3 weeks old roughly and that was about 2 weeks ago. So I am just going by what people think by looking at the pictures I've posted because I would like to have a better idea of how old they are. One person said they look about 3 weeks old I think.

Back
Top Bottom