CONCERNING DE

I also use DE. I agree about the parasite issues--use or not use--up to each person. The main reason I use it is because it does control flies better than anything I have found. My chickens also have less runny poo and seem to lay more when they are on it. I live in the South where the flies are horrible. The flies seem to reproduce in less drastic numbers when my chickens and pigs are ingesting DE. I use the food grade as well. I mix it in their feed in a low concentration and while it may not help them any, it does help decrease the flies. I can't tell it has hurt them in any way. So, I'll continue to use it, at least in the warmer months. Just my opinion.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi,
Could you please tell me how much you mix into their food? We seem to be developing a fly problem here.
Thanks,
Dasha

5% is the suggested mix for chickens. That would be 2 1/2 pounds per 50 pounds of feed. For fly's though, be sure to put it on their bedding and sprinkle it in the run.

Quote:
I agree too. I'm fairly new to using it but love it. I'm lucky and can get a 50lb bag for $18 here in town. I use it on all my pets for internal and external pests and I've even taken it myself. Lol yes, for all those wonderful non-scientific reasons they post on the websites. Who knows, it might work and I sure haven't noticed anything adverse from using it. I like Stall Dry better for odor control in the coop/run, but DE works pretty well in cat litterboxes.

Here is the result of an off-the-cuff experiment on Black Tree ants that live in an oak by the garage. They were out on a well attended foraging party. A smattering of DE broke the rhumba line immediately, with the resultant pile up.

DEants.jpg

We do not feed it to the girls. We do mix it into the bedding and use in dusting areas. I check them with a loupe, for arthropod predators, every few weeks. Three years with no bugs. Also no fly issues.

However, the DE is not at all effective against Wood Roaches (but they don't mind gamma rays
sad.png
). Very ineffective against most wasps/hornets.

Have seen no change in pollinator populations at all.

Useful, relatively benign, adjunct (IMHO/YMMV)

smile.png
I really do not want to use Sevin powder it is confusing, all the different types and names on the containers, plus all the warnings. I do not even like to take aspirin myself. So armed with the name Perma-Guard I went to our local feed store and inquired about DE. The store clerk was a little surprised. He told me that he had just ordered some for a woman and her horses. So he is ordering me some. I stressed to him that it has to be FOOD GRADE!!! He is checking it out and will get me some. Thank-you all, for the info. Oldegger thanks for that name. Mary-Kay

If you can get a dealer to order it for you, insist on PermaGuard. It is the safest! Of all the product data sheets I have seen, the crystalline silica (bad stuff) is the lowest in PermaGuard, less than one half of one percent! Others run between 1 and 3%. Additionally, PermaGuard had the patent on the Food Grade before it expired, now there are many on the market that are not as good! Be a smart and informed buyer! Also remember that some companies add other ingredients to food grade DE rendering them non-food grade.

spatcher, do you know how long Permaguard DE is good for? I have two 50lb bags in the garage and I can't find any expiration info on them or the site itself.

Quote:
There is no expiration for DE. If it gets wet its effectiveness may be lessened but not destroyed. Full effectiveness forever if it is kept dry!

Very cool! Thank you!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom