Concussed Chicken?

chickensinneed

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
My gorgeous white 4 month old chicken recently flew into a window. I picked her up and her eyes rolled back into her head and she went limp. I thought she had passed, when I placed her on the ground though she stumbled to her feet and she would just stand in the one spot. She was breathing odd, her mouth was open and her tounge was going up and down. I put some water out and sat with her. After maybe 20-30 minutes she stopped breathing funny, drunk some water and she wandered off to a corner. She wont move and she keeps on going to close her eyes, like she wants to sleep. I am attempting to keep her awake. Can a chicken suffer a concussion? If so like humans do I need to keep her awake? I am worried about her.

PLEASE HELP!

Her eyes are now dilating and I am very worried. I love Pearl so much and I really need help. Please.

Let her rest. Don't bother her. Make sure she's safe from predators (cats, dogs, brothers, sisters). Keep food and water nearby. She might have simply knocked the wind out of her, and she'll recover on her own. However, if she damaged her neck, she might develop progressive paralysis, in which she may or may not recover from.

Right now the best thing you can do is leave her be.

Put her inside a cardboard box and close the lid. Make sure there are a few small holes for air to get in. Put the box in a quite dark warm place and leave her alone for a few hours.

This really is the best thing to do. Keeping her in the dark will cut out too much stimulation to the brain and let her rest and recover slowly.

I have done this with an owl and many other birds that hit my house windows. Some seemed almost dead when I picked them up. I have my 'magic box' always handy.

If you leave her in the light or outside, or try to get her to drink and eat this will stress her out too much and she may die.

I hope the box things works for you........I really recommend you try it.

Thankyou so much for your advice. Right now she is in a box with food and water nearby, she has her friend Crystal with her, they get along fine and she seems to be recovering well, she has just gone up to roost and has stopped standing docile in her corner.

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately my baby girl died during the night. I suspect she was bleeding internally due to the blood surrounding her bottom.

Back
Top Bottom