Pics
That would be amazing but I do think I have at least 3 boys because those 3 have been that red since like 3 or 4 weeks old and also the Welsummer is coming in with green and other male coloring. I have a Welsummer female too and she looks way different than that one so I think I have a pair. The RIR and BR could still be though.

With my luck, this is probably it :lau

Thanks!! This is good to know!! I’m going to give them all a chance. I was thinking of possibly keeping a roo so I was gonna keep them all a little while longer anyway. :)

And yeah, they’re in the laundry room but are moving outside soon. I do turn a light on for them in the morning and off at night because there aren’t windows in there. They were upstairs with natural light but moved down there a few weeks ago cause they needed more room. But I’m still making sure they get a schedule. :)

They’re moving outside hopefully this week.

I think I definitely have at least 3. They’re huge and have been very red since like 3 weeks old and of course the Welsummer coming in with male feather coloring.

Even combs that red? They’re only 6 weeks old and were very red even at 3 weeks. But hopefully :fl
I think @chickens really is just saying that comb growth isn’t 100%. (although some of those combs are pretty close to a 90% indicator! )

for sure, like you said, the welsummer is with the black. Females have no black.

I’ve only even had cockerels around this year, so I only speak to generalizations, but, I feel like on 6 weeks olds you can make pretty good assumptions based on the shape/texture/angle of the tail feathers before hackle and sickle feathers come in.

There’s one pic of the lavender from the first set of photos you showed it in that would make me allllmost call it as a boy if it was any breed BUT an Orpington. A few of them it still looks like a total baby pullet body and tail. Lol. They’re sneaky.

on second look I do agree there’s a photo of that buffs combs that is red. But I would get them outside and see if it’s still red. Sometimes it’s about heat that even little pullet combs take on some red color. It’s legs don’t look that big to me?

I think @chickens really is just saying that comb growth isn’t 100%. (although some of those combs are pretty close to a 90% indicator! )

for sure, like you said, the welsummer is with the black. Females have no black.

I’ve only even had cockerels around this year, so I only speak to generalizations, but, I feel like on 6 weeks olds you can make pretty good assumptions based on the shape/texture/angle of the tail feathers before hackle and sickle feathers come in.

There’s one pic of the lavender from the first set of photos you showed it in that would make me allllmost call it as a boy if it was any breed BUT an Orpington. A few of them it still looks like a total baby pullet body and tail. Lol. They’re sneaky.

on second look I do agree there’s a photo of that buffs combs that is red. But I would get them outside and see if it’s still red. Sometimes it’s about heat that even little pullet combs take on some red color. It’s legs don’t look that big to me?
I see zero Rooster tail feathers or saddle feather. No masculine characteristics on any of them?

Are they nice? I’ve heard the Lavender roosters can sometimes be mean? Idk why. Only this color.
Lavender is just the color. Orpingtons are very friendly, especially a Cockerel/rooster. It's rare that a mean one will pop up sometimes.

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense. I’ll get them outside soon and get better pictures of them all. It is a bit warm down there so maybe that’s why. Not hot or anything but I notice it is warmer than the rest of the basement. So I’ll try to get them outside. The natural light may help too.

I’m hoping they’re girls but I guess we’ll see. If I do have mostly boys, I may just rehome the girls along with them if it’s only a couple but we’ll see. If it’s only a couple or few I could put them in with my other birds.

I don’t think it’s legs look very big either but :confused:

I did just notice some of my older EE, definite pullets, have fairly large combs too so maybe there’s hope for this one. :fl

The Welsummer I think is definitely a boy because I have two of them and the other one has the typical female coloration? This one is coming in deep mahogany, black, and green which I think is strictly male coloration in that breed?

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense. I’ll get them outside soon and get better pictures of them all. It is a bit warm down there so maybe that’s why. Not hot or anything but I notice it is warmer than the rest of the basement. So I’ll try to get them outside. The natural light may help too.

I’m hoping they’re girls but I guess we’ll see. If I do have mostly boys, I may just rehome the girls along with them if it’s only a couple but we’ll see. If it’s only a couple or few I could put them in with my other birds.

I don’t think it’s legs look very big either but :confused:

I did just notice some of my older EE, definite pullets, have fairly large combs too so maybe there’s hope for this one. :fl

The Welsummer I think is definitely a boy because I have two of them and the other one has the typical female coloration? This one is coming in deep mahogany, black, and green which I think is strictly male coloration in that breed?
Yes the coloration is a dead giveaway. After that first molt around 5-6 weeks, makes get black chest feathers and females salmon.

I see zero Rooster tail feathers or saddle feather. No masculine characteristics on any of them?

I thought those came in when they were older?

They are only 6 weeks old. None of those features appear until about 12 weeks.

Ah okay that makes sense. Guess I’ll have to wait till then unless they make themselves obvious males before then :lau

Still I'm thinking most are Pullets...

I hope so but not looking good on some of them :/

Lavender is just the color. Orpingtons are very friendly, especially a Cockerel/rooster. It's rare that a mean one will pop up sometimes.

Yeah, I meant the Orpingtons specifically. It’s probably wrong but I read that the Lavender Orpingtons be mean or that it’s more common than in the other Orpington colors for some reason???

I know Orpingtons are usually supposed to be gentle but I heard this coloration sometimes are mean???

That’s probably not true though??

I don’t know how I’m going to decide which one to keep. :lau

I will 'bid' 7 cockerels and 2 pullets.

That’s what I’m thinking too but hoping not. :( :fl

I'm on the fence still, but guessing two or three pullets at most.
Pictures in two weeks!
Mary

Thanks! I really hope I get more than that but I am leaning that way too. :(

But I guess in a way it could be good because if it’s only a few girls or less I could move them into the new coop with my current chickens and use the old one to get more :lau :oops:

I’ll definitely post more pictures and I’ll try to get good ones of their face and bodies. I think the natural light will help. It’s gonna be a long wait. :lau :barnie

Back
Top Bottom