Pics
The chicks are sunbathing :love not quite dustbathing yet but even sunbathing is progress!! They’ll figure it out eventually lol they’re right next to the dustbathing area.

So the chicks love the front yard and it has been proving impossible to keep them out. Earlier they were in some bushes in the front next to the house then they moved under a huge bush next to the driveway (and some were in the driveway) and then they discovered the front garden. Finally just chased them out and managed to get them home and locked up. :lau

Not that I particularly mind them being in the front but I would prefer the chickens all be in one area.

I think they are trying to stay away from the big chickens or maybe are just more adventurous being mostly roosters but the back is plenty big enough for all of that! Lol

I keep thinking I’ve lost them and freaking out only to discover they’re in the front!! :lau :barnie

Here they are being naughty LOL the 4th one they were pecking my toes!!

C3FF0E79-2248-466E-9810-3B3E9E999AC1.jpeg 3ED75852-683F-41A8-9A6B-BA2222AB3C68.jpeg 6711925E-B386-404D-AB37-ACDAF6EC7813.jpeg B7993884-CA8F-4D81-A926-4C3CF0200DA9.jpeg 3F715E54-8ED7-4DD6-98F6-7AFAF1B9B8D4.jpeg 8828D0A9-4875-44C5-A475-E8AFDE720A66.jpeg

First they’re basically all cockerels then I lose my favorite one and now I’ve lost another! I feel like such an idiot. But I don’t really get it because I have never had any issues with the other ones even in 4 years and 2 sets of chicks outside, probably less secure than these chicks, yet these ones are dropping like flies!!

What happened?

Something dug in. There is fresh dirt and several holes. But they look pretty small so :confused:

There are feathers outside the pen but not inside (well there are but from other birds) and zero blood or sign of the bird anywhere. I was thinking of looking for him but I wouldn’t even know where to start. None of the other birds are missing or injured. It’s like something just snuck in, grabbed him, and left. Although the feathers on the outside kind of suggest he was still alive and put up a fight? I didn’t let the chicks free range yesterday but did the adults but they are all fine.

I think it is a different predator than the last one.

Do you know when it happened? Daytime or...?
I caught a fox in my run last year that got in through a teeny tiny little hole he dug. I wouldn't have thought he would fit if I hadn't seen him. He found the one spot without an apron. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom