Consolidated Kansas

Oops...typo Im Typing off my phone. I would like to worm my chickens what is best. What do you guys use.

This time I have been trying out a new wormer, it's by Rooster Booster & is a triple wormer. You mix it in with the feed so it's really easy to give & it's in a pellet form. You don't have to worry about egg withdrawal on this one either. I don't know if there is anywhere to buy it locally, I bought mine online from Fleming Outdoors, they had the best price for it.

I dont think that there are any fox here..i live too close to the city.
I just moved from Wichita a few months ago. My old neighbor told me that they had been watching a family of foxes living under my tool shed all year. That house is at 36th and Amidon and while we lived there we would see deer, rabbits, coyotes, turkeys, coons, skunks, and opossums on a regular basis. Not to mention stray dogs...
somad.gif

I live in Hutchinson, my coworker showed me a picture her husband sent her of a mountian lion on a trail cam, 3 miles from her home here in Hutch! Have you guys ever seen those (all the talk of predators made me think of it)

I live in Hutchinson, my coworker showed me a picture her husband sent her of a mountian lion on a trail cam, 3 miles from her home here in Hutch! Have you guys ever seen those (all the talk of predators made me think of it)

We are getting more of them coming over from Missouri the last few years here in the Flint Hills. A few years ago I was driving into town & at the newspaper office there was a guy with a dead mountain lion in the back of his truck. He had brought it in to get them to take a picture of it & put it in the paper. It was a big cat too! My next door neighbor was over about a week or so ago to buy some eggs from me & he said they were driving back around the road from the lake to come back home & one passed across the road in front of them. They were just floored to see one around here & I told them then about the guy who killed that one & brought it to the newspaper. My sister used to have a cabin on the Council Grove City Lake & they had two black cougars that were seen on a regular basis around there. It's definitely not something you would think of having in Kansas but for some reason they're coming here. We also have bobcats here, my neighbor has seen them at his pond & he lives right across the road from our property on the opposite side from our house. We have about every kind of predator here that there is that eat chickens with the exception of bears, those I haven't seen. We live only a mile & a half or so from the city limits & I saw a bobcat run over right in front of the prison & that's on the edge of the city limits. I don't think animals like foxes & such stay away from cities, they tend to be in cities because they can find food there. I even saw a fox right in the middle of Wichita when I was growing up there, so even then they were there.

I've seen mountain lions for years. Even over 20 years ago when I was working nights at Wolf Creek I sat and watched one walk down the road toward the access gate. I also saw them along Hwy 75 on my way to work. I have also seen them out at the lake nearby. You can't imagine the size of those footprints in snow! they are huge. Kansas wild life and parks say they don't exist here, but I've seen them with my own eyes on several occasions. I have no idea why they deny it.
I used to live in Council Grove and did hear about the black panthers at the lake but never knew if it were true or not.
Yesterday was one busy day for me. It was well after dark before I got done with all my feeding and watering. I spent several hours moving chickens. I moved my white rocks to the hen house where the light brahmas stay. I figured since I'm not hatching any of them right now they might as well be sleeping together. They all free range all day anyway. They normally just go through the gate to the hen house to get to their pen and coop anyway. I have a gate in between pens. I had a couple of whit rocks wandering around in the dark though cause they were still trying to get into their coop and couldn't figure out how. I'll just have to watch them for a few days to make sure they all get in and stay in.
I moved most of the young orpington and partridge brahmas from the pen they were in to the old white star house and pen. I moved them one by one and treated them for mites with ivermectin while I was doing it. Figured it was a good time to get it done. Then I moved several young buff Orp pullets to the breeder pen. I didn't see any arguing when I did. Might have been because I treated all of them as well and shut the others that were already there in the coop and got them treated. They were so upset with me that they didn't seem to notice the new additions. Or so I hope.
Then I moved my young lavender pullets into a cage in the lavender orpington pen. I hope if I leave them there a couple of days that I can let them out without fights. I also moved some white orpingtons to the white orpington pen in a cage. They are really crowded. I just didn't have the room to get a larger cage in there. I hope they do okay. It is so unfair but I don't want them to get picked on.
Then I moved a bunch of the larger birds from the brooder to the pen where all those other birds came from. I am sure there are others I should have gotten out of there, but they seem so small to be outside in the weather even when they have all their feathers. I am such a softy.
I discovered my blind albino turkey was not doing well at all. I have no idea what was wrong with her. So I brought her in and gave her a shot of baytril. She is much better this morning but I need to get her back to her pen. She is so used to where things are she doesn't know where to find food and water if I move her. So I guess I'll give her another shot later today and put her back out. I realized that although she has no real value....she isn't ever mated, and I've never eaten her eggs.... I teared up thinking she might die. I have become so attached to her just because she is special. She knows my voice and gets excited when she hears me. I know that is in apprehension of food and water but just the same.... I even thought if I were smart I'd just butcher her but I can't do that.
I'll need to reassess the moves today and make sure all the birds are doing okay. I always get nervous when I move young birds especially in cold weather.
I ran out and let the birds that free range out a little earlier. It is sure gloomy out there. Looks like winter for sure. Now they are saying Thursday night we'll have freezing rain and Friday we'll have snow!

Hello all! long time no chat! Things have been REALLY busy here as I try to keep up with life as a new parent. I'm hopping online now to share with you about something that recently happened to us that I hope to prevent from happening to you during this holiday season. We were given Walmart gift cards for baby showers. I consolidated them to one card to prevent me from losing any of them. This card had nearly $150 on it. I went to use it yesterday and was told it had a ZERO BALANCE! I looked at the history that Wal-mart.com provided, and it said that the card had been emptied in San Marcos, California. I have never been to California, much less San Marcos. I called the local Walmart store as well as Walmart.com and was told that there is nothing they can do because they treat gift cards like cash. My complaint there is that you can't steal cash online!!!! I had only used this card once - for a walmart.com purchase. That is the only time the card ever left my purse, and I have not left my purse out where someone could steal from it. The theft MUST have happened on the walmart website, even though walmart won't admit to it. Walmart just told me to report the crime to my local police department, which I've done and a sheriff's officer is now supposed to be coming out to take a statement. GRRRRR!!!!! What upsets me the most is that this money was supposed to be used for Ethan (my new son) and was given to us at baby showers. I consider myself pretty tech savvy (I'm a software engineer by trade) and do my best to be careful not to give out any personal information or do anything that could open myself up for theft. However, I seem to have done just that simply by using walmart's website.

Sorry for the rant, but I thought you all should know! I hope I can save you a headache (and a hit to the wallet)!!

Hello all! long time no chat! Things have been REALLY busy here as I try to keep up with life as a new parent. I'm hopping online now to share with you about something that recently happened to us that I hope to prevent from happening to you during this holiday season. We were given Walmart gift cards for baby showers. I consolidated them to one card to prevent me from losing any of them. This card had nearly $150 on it. I went to use it yesterday and was told it had a ZERO BALANCE! I looked at the history that Wal-mart.com provided, and it said that the card had been emptied in San Marcos, California. I have never been to California, much less San Marcos. I called the local Walmart store as well as Walmart.com and was told that there is nothing they can do because they treat gift cards like cash. My complaint there is that you can't steal cash online!!!! I had only used this card once - for a walmart.com purchase. That is the only time the card ever left my purse, and I have not left my purse out where someone could steal from it. The theft MUST have happened on the walmart website, even though walmart won't admit to it. Walmart just told me to report the crime to my local police department, which I've done and a sheriff's officer is now supposed to be coming out to take a statement. GRRRRR!!!!! What upsets me the most is that this money was supposed to be used for Ethan (my new son) and was given to us at baby showers. I consider myself pretty tech savvy (I'm a software engineer by trade) and do my best to be careful not to give out any personal information or do anything that could open myself up for theft. However, I seem to have done just that simply by using walmart's website.

Sorry for the rant, but I thought you all should know! I hope I can save you a headache (and a hit to the wallet)!!

Well obviously Walmart has had their system breached by some one probably many times. I want to stress though that you can't hold Walmart as a company at fault. It could happen to any business. I've had my credit card compromised by using it at gas stations at least two times before. Unfortunately unless you want to hand the cashier a wad of cash that is about your only option. It is good to know there are some problems with their website though. Whomever it is that hacked their system was smart enough to go for a prepaid card where the chance of being caught was lower.
Lizzy I am sorry that this happened with Ethan's gifts.
I have ordered from Walmart.com several times and never had a problem. But maybe I'll change my strategy a little. They just happen to have some things on line I can't get in the stores. So maybe using a prepaid credit card would be the safest way....something with no balance left!!!

Lizzy, sorry this happened to you. I've ordered from Walmart.com a number of times but now I can't remember the payment method. Usually I use the site to store option and pick it up there so its possible I pay for the shipment in person when I pick it up, though I *think* I have to pay online in order to submit the order.

DS and I worked like crazy this afternoon to get out hay shelter for the goats and sheep finished, and we made it just as we were running out of light. It was too dark to take pictures but I will try to get some in the morning. We extended our original wall by one more pallet/bale length, and then made a matching wall on the other side. So the wall is now 3 bales long, and 3 bales high. The whole thing is under the roof line of the horse shelter which is 16' deep, so back in the back of the hay shelter, it should be really cozy. We plan to put a little roof over the top, affixed to the top of the livestock panels, since the goats are so small that it will help to prevent heat being lost out the top.

You gotta love guardian dogs! Ours may not be the official LGD breeds, and they don't bark all night, but last night they went crazy barking so DH went out to see what was up and with his super high beam flashlight, he could see two eyes reflected back at him and the outline of an animal and it was BIG. He watched it move along our fence line and out the gate, but couldn't tell for sure what it was. I suspect it was probably a dog. Even though all the birds were locked up safe, with our two new little lambs - who are real babies - think mini-schnauzer sized - I worry about something getting in and getting them, so I'm very appreciative of the dogs alerting us to the intruder.

Back
Top Bottom