Coop Advice Wanted

Let there be light!
received_10207510769525920.jpeg
received_10207510769445918.jpeg

Gary, what do you think about low vents?
Sorry, I know you were asking Gary but I thought I would say something on the subject;)

If you have low vents the problem with them is that is they are too low around where your birds are going to be, you will create drafts which is NOT what you want, the ventilation is so moisture doesn't build up in the coop and stick to the birds wattles and combs which entices frostbite! So in short, you want ventilation high enough so you have no drafts chilling the birds and you DO want ventilation so you keep as much moisture out of the coop as possible! I recommend keeping water OUT of the coop too so it wont evaporate into the coop. Hope I helped!:D

Now may I say....

I don't have 1 square foot of vent for my birds,I really don't have a lot of vent(mistake there).Only two of my birds have ever had major frostbite in the four coops I have ever housed them in, and they all Didnt have that much vent.

Jus my 2'cents ;)

Now may I say....

I don't have 1 square foot of vent for my birds,I really don't have a lot of vent(mistake there).Only two of my birds have ever had major frostbite in the four coops I have ever housed them in, and they all Didnt have that much vent.

Jus my 2'cents ;)

A lot of it depends on how packed in your birds are, the ability of the bedding to absorb and hold onto any moisture at given temps, whether the coops is heated and/or insulated (bad idea), and what the weather is like in general where you are.

Oops. I should have tools you to make the pop door at least 6" up. I did mine low like that on my first coop, and also have a low lip that I need to swap out at the human door. It's not high enough to keep messing in, my pop door track constantly gets shavings drug out into it, and I can only put a couple of inches of shavings in the coop. It seems high enough when the coop is empty but it looks your bedding options as far as deep bedding or deep litter. On my second coop I did 8" lips which is much better.

Back
Top Bottom