coop and run question

michaelf1478

Songster
7 Years
Nov 26, 2013
I am using a 10x10 dog kennel and I am building a coop out of pallets it is gonna be roughly 66L x 53w x 53T im gonna put a floor in and have a pallet in the middle to give it a two story laying area, and im gonna cut out a 2x2 door for the chickens and im gonna hinge one of the doorsand put a lock on it for easy access for me to clean and collect egg, do yall think this setup will be ok? Also about how many chickens should I keep in this setup?

Ok I was thinking 3 or 4 long island reds or some others about there size. I will chexk out that other post to thx for the advice.

10x10 dog kennel with roof and sand works great, I have 4 hens and the mess is not bad as I clean it every Saturday, only takes 10 minutes.

I didnt think to put sand ok in that seem like a good idea. I was also thinking about hooking up some electric fence on the out side of the 10x10 to help keep preadtors from getting in.

I put 2x6 on the inside to keep the sand in then put weed fabric down to keep the sand from disappearing into the ground then I put 2x4 welded wire down and attached it to the bottom tubing, on the walls on the inside I ran hardware cloth all around the bottom to keep heads in and paws out.

I think im gonna do that myself. Ive been focused so much on building the coop I havent really even thought about what to do with the pen thanks for the good ideas keep em coming plez. What is the best thing to line your nesting box with I was gonna get some hay would that be ok?

My friend gave me some hay his horse won't eat it off the floor, nice soft green hay but they ate it out of the boxes, pmo, now I just use shavings, I use sand in the coop as well clean up with a cat litter scoop and your done in no time

Back
Top Bottom