coop and run

glisson_family_farms

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
de soto
ok so i scraped the idea of building a coop and got a 8x10 shed that's pretty tall
and 2x4 wielded fence got 50 ft of that for a run for my 50 ladies i know its a little small
but for a couple months till i can add on and buy more fence i think it will work

, it's a MINIMUM of 4 square feet per chicken if they have access to a run and 10 square feet if they don't. So, an 8x10 shed could theoretically house a maximum of 20 chickens, if they have a run. But these are close quarters, and fewer is better. Note that you need to devote some room for a feeder, waterer, and nesting boxes, so subtract that from the total when you're doing the final calculation. so its going to be real cramped for sure

Ifr they're babies it will work for a month or two. You can make both feeders and waterers if you wish; lots of ideas on here; so a search on this site or google. Don't keep them in too tight quarters for too long. If pecking and feather picking get started for real, not just mild pecking order pecks, it can be impossible to stop. Good luck!

Quote:
I agree, once they start pecking each other, it's a nightmare. Hope they don't start for you, because that is REALLY tight quarters.

Back
Top Bottom