Coop DISASTER

yakmama

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
The South
My husband and I have been gearing up for weeks to build our coop. We've poured over countless plans and finally decided to build an ark style coop. We went to the salvage lumber yard, and found tons of old barn wood for free last night, so my husband changed his mind and said he would build a coop that looked like a barn and attach a run. Late last night I drove over an hour away to pick up my brothers so they could help him today.

Well, today, we did NOTHING. We went to Lowe's and my husband hemmed and hawed for about 3 hours. Finally he put everything back and decided that we needed to build a plan first. He had NO clue what he was doing. I was angry at him- so now he's not talking to me- and my poor brothers spent their weekend with us for nothing...

Our time is pretty precious- My husband and I each work two jobs- so we are super busy- and this was our first day to do anything in a long time. Our chicks are almost 4 weeks old- so we REALLY need to get on the ball!

UGH so frustrating! Just wanted to get out my vent. Hopefully by next week we'll be on our way to building a coop.

hello.
sorry for your husbands attitude!!!
want to know a great trick on getting things going?

try and build it yourself! make it look awful so he has to come out and fix it!! thats what i did!! my father stopped by our house and laughed as he touched a side (i nailed together some plywood) and it fell right over!!!!
got my chicken coop built!!!!
good luck!
wink.png

I've been married for 25 years, and I can relate. But for every time my husband has done something that frustrated me, I'm sure he can think of something I've done that frustrated him!

Your husband just wants to get this done right. You're lucky, actually. My husband isn't interested in our chickens at all, so I have to do everything by myself. I only wish my husband would spend three hours at Lowes with me looking at construction materials!

Your husband's right; nobody should start until they have a solid plan of what's to be done, where, and how it's to be done. He should not start until it's all in his mind what he's going to do the best way that he can. Tell him I suggest his using all screws, no nails. That way if he needs to, he can unscrew everything and start over.

EDIT: BTW, you're the one who asked your brothers to come. Why blame him?

EDIT #2 See my My BYC Page; you might get some ideas.

Last edited:
I read "I was angry with him---now hes not talking to me" as the husband who wants to plan I would say possibly you were a tad aggressive with the angry part and he bucked up....promise him some lovin..buy him some beer/whiskey...and a little sweet talkin will have it being worked on tonight or tomorrow morning atleast...if that dont work make him sleep with the chicks and it surely will
big_smile.png

i believe that you should have a good solid plan before you build anything. ihave built many buildings on my property, including my house. theres many times i've been to lowes looking for materials only to leave emptyhanded.
let your husband think it over and i'm sure he'll come home one day with all materials needed.
and remember "measure twice cut once"
old.gif

Figure out a plan then build it yourself! My husband finds building frustrating and totally unfun, but I like it so I build almost everything around here and I'm not a big or particularly strong woman. He helps with the heavy stuff and sometimes throws in ideas, but it's me who swings the hammer.

Don't go to bed mad, it's the wrong way to keep a happy marriage.

Back
Top Bottom