Coop Ideas

shane709

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Hello!

I am looking for some ideas from the experts! I have a pretty decent space (i think) to build my coop. I have a large fenced in back yard and a deck that is 8-10 ft high. I though a coop under it would work well and keep the chickens out of the elements. Missouri can be really hot and really cold! I have seen some photos of other peoples coops under their decks. I would like some ideas from those who have been doing this a while. Here are some photos of the deck. Oh and I am just ok at carpentry, havent done much of it, so bear with me! Thanks!

Looks like an easy project to close it in and make a run. I don't know that I would want then that close to the house. Unless you keep your coop VERY clean there is a smell.

Looks to me like all is left is planning and building underneath there. Should work out really well for you. Check out the coops section on here and there is numerous ideas and coop designs and ideas.

Mine are 14x14 and about 14 inches off the floor, myold bboxes were 12x12 and not uncommon to find 2 hens in the same one squished in there.

What are those pvc pipes coming out of the ground? Radon or furnace exhaust...or...?
Would be good if you could move the one on the left in the photo and put the coop there.

You'll need to make a solid roof on the coop tho to shed water coming thru the deck above.
True that if you use the deck a lot you might have odor issues.

Appreciate the thoughts! Thank you! Phoenix, I never even thought about the water spicket. That will be nice.

Chad, I definately dont want a smell, So i guess i will have to clean, ALOT. To put it further out in the yard will require more money i think. Under the deck just seemed logical due to the fact I have a wall on one side and anchor post on the other. Seems more secure too. In my area I will have all kinds of predators, bobcats, possum, racoon, fox, snakes, dogs, etc..... Even suppose to be small bears around here although Ive never seen one. I would feel awful if something got to them. If it smells to bad, I will probably end up moving and redoing it.

Pimento, thanks! I have checked some of those out! Some very cool ones, there are some very talented people out there! Im pretty handy with cars, not so much with carpentry, lol. This will be a test of my skill and patience! :)

If you are basically just going to fence it in it might be cheap. Before you do, ck around for a used coop there are also some very reasonable coops for 6 or 8 hens. I think in the end you will spend the money to close it in and wind up spending again to move it. On the other hand we have some folks on here that keep their birds in their house. For myself I enjoy my flock at a distance.

Back
Top Bottom