Coop in a greenhouse? Is it possible?

jendodd

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Hi everyone! This is my first post
smile.png
My city has decided to allow 12 test sites for backyard chickens and there is a good possibility that we'll be chosen as one of the sites! We're just planning out now where would be the best place in our yard to house the coop.

Our backyard is private mostly shaded and is mostly concrete and sand.

The front yard is smaller but has grass and our vegetable garden. Our yard sits up very high from the road and is fenced.

I had one idea, and I need advice from the pros! We have an unheated greenhouse that is a lean to on the side of the house. I was wondering if it was possible to house the actual coop in the greenhouse. I would cut a hole in the side of the greenhouse and put a door which would lead to the front yard. I'd then fence in a 6X6ft area along our fence for the chickens to be in during the day. When I'm in the front yard gardening, I'd let them out foraging in the front yard. My reasoning for having the coop in the greenhouse is to protect the chickens from nighttime predators. We live in an area that has nightly walkthroughs from black bears, and the occasional cougar is spotted in the city. I always close the greenhouse up at nighttime.

Concerns would be that during the day in the summer the actual coop would be too hot for nesting during the day if it were in the greenhouse? There is a period in July that is quite hot in there in BC (although I'm sure that it's not any hotter than a summer day in Arizona or Texas)

I'd love any input!!! thanks in advance

Sounds like it would work, you might need to put some more ventilation in it but I don't see where it would be any different from any other coop!!

Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

Missi

like BB said... ventilation is key. it definitely sounds like it may be doable. do you have any pics of the greenhouse so we could get a better idea of what you'd be working with?

by the way....
welcome-byc.gif

Here's the inside of the greenhouse. I'd put the coop in the area where the barbeque and kiddy pool is. It's about a 4ftX 3ftX8ft space

The ventilation that is all along the roof.

photostream

The area outside of the greenhouse. I'd cut a hole in that wall and put a door so that it could be opened for the chickens to go in their run. I could also cut a ventilation hole in there

photostream

The run area would be behind the stone garden. It's about 6ftX6ft. There is a mini weeping pussy willow in there, but if I made the coop 8ft tall, it would fit right in.

photostream

sorry - will try to figure out the photo issue!

Last edited:
I see a few gaps in the greenhouse; you'd need to cover those up with hardware cloth and generally go around and make everything secure if you were counting on the greenhouse itself to keep your birds safe.

I'd be very concerned about summer heat, too. I have a winter coop with a white polycarbonate roof and it gets way, way, way, way too hot for occupancy in the summer, even only after dark.

Back
Top Bottom