Coop INSIDE a larger barn- chicken wire?

karigirl

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2018
Ontario, Canada
We are planning a 25’X40’ open coop inside our metal pole barn. I’ve been stalking this site for all things chickens and have found so much info!! My question is - can we safely use 3’ high pallet walls around the bottom of the coop, and then use chicken wire from there to the ceiling 9+ feet and across the roof? I know that chicken wire is NOT enough used outdoors, but we have the larger barn providing security. Hardware cloth would be $$$ and I’m wondering if it’s overkill in this scenario. Thank you!

As long as you are going to close the barn up every night, then chicken wire will be fine to use. I have a friend that has a chicken barn that uses heavy 1/2" mesh for the outside runs and chicken wire inside the barn. He raises around 7 different breeds and everyone is locked in at night (pop doors to the outside open and close on timers).

My question is - can we safely use 3’ high pallet walls around the bottom of the coop, and then use chicken wire from there to the ceiling 9+ feet and across the roof? I

Generally speaking, chicken wire is for keeping chicken in, not keeping chicken eaters out.

What kind of chicken eaters do you have? raccoons, rats, other?

If there is a chance that a raccoon will get into the barn, it will be able to get through the chicken wire if it wants to. But the barn walls offers a layer of protection so that helps, but I think I would use 2x4 welded wire instead unless rats are an issue.

Could you deck over the coop with plywood so that you have 7 foot of coop, a plywood ceiling/floor and some storage above? Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom