Coop lighting

Mobowguy

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2017
Missouri
Hello everyone. New chicken owner and new to byc. I have a question about lighting my coop. I work second shift and was thinking about adding a solar powered light to my coop so I can close my chickens in coop to keep them safe when I go to work but not have them in mostly darkess a couple hours before sunset. Is there any good options? Maybe something on a timer so the light isn't on for hours after dark? (Unless the light doesn't bother them if it's on all night) thank you for any information you guys have, and I'm sure this is only the first of many questions lol.

I have 4 chickens that were given to me by someone that was gonna be moving. Rhode island red rooster (cogburn) rest are hens of course...buff orphington (Buffy), a black and gray Americana that doesn't have name atm... Then the other I'm not exactly sure what she is. I think a type. Of Wyandotte, her name is beauty...i will post some pictures maybe someone knows what beauty is.

You want the extra light in the morning only and the natural sun setting is their trigger to get on the roost. The exception is if your light slowly fades to dark over a 30 minute period simulating sundown to dusk.

JT

I work second shift and was thinking about adding a solar powered light to my coop so I can close my chickens in coop to keep them safe when I go to work but not have them in mostly darkess a couple hours before sunset.
Lots of windows would do the trick.....or a very secure run.
If using a light you definitely need a timer,
timer for solar lights are not common but out there somewhere.
You need lots of space in there too,
if they are going to be confined to coop that long.
Uhg I hated second shift, was the worst one for me.
Welcome to BYC!

Lots of windows would do the trick.....or a very secure run.
If using a light you definitely need a timer,
timer for solar lights are not common but out there somewhere.
You need lots of space in there too,
if they are going to be confined to coop that long.
Uhg I hated second shift, was the worst one for me.
Welcome to BYC!
Thank you...and yeah it would just be a temporary thing until I can secure the run well. I already have a little electric fence around the run that I have but needs a little work still before I fully trust it. I will get a really good run soon just it's been really cold past few days and haven't messed with it

Back
Top Bottom