Coop plans so far.

Northie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
little farm, Saskatchewan

He's what we have planned out so far for the old granary in my avatar picture. It's about 15'x10' (exterior measurements). The first part will be a maintenance area where we'll have access to the chickens food, grit, oyster shell, chicken door(s), water(?), and the nest boxes. I have a poop tray/board drawn under the roosting areas. And I was thinking about building a broody pen underneath a portion of it, what do you think, good idea? There's a double door to get outside because I was hoping to reduce any drafts coming in the exterior door by putting up a clear flap door on the interior one. It gets really cold up here. Our perennial plant need to be hardy down to at least -31f to survive and there's usually a stretch of -40f, at it's worst we'll see -45f with wind... So heating won't be optional I think... That being said lights should be over the roost right? We'll be insulating for sure and I've told my hubby he's in charge of figuring out the ventilation. He's a carpenter so he knows way more about that then I do. I don't have a watering system worked out yet but I'm also thinking about trying those nipple waterers. There will be a secure run outside connected to the lean to and maybe a larger pasture area to free range under supervision.

So, does anyone see anything that is going to cause me a head ache later in these plans? Any advice is really appreciated :)

Thanks

edited to fix silly autospell mistake...

Last edited:
Water nipples won't work in that cold.

Totally great design. Egg and feed access. You'll need to enter to clean poop boards.

How will u do a total clean out? Will a wheelbarrow fit through both doors?

For good clean out option might I suggest installing a small swing door below your roosting area at floor level. I just built my coop and so far this door is proving to be the best idea I had . It's the small door on the right .

I asked my DH if the wheel barrel would fit through the doors and he said no. He also mentioned I would have to lift it into the coop to get it in and out of there, which didn't sound fun. I showed him the extra little door you have for cleaning and he figures that would work way better. Thanks for pointing that one out, for all the little things I was working on i missed a big one lol! As for the water, I'll have to keep thinking about it. I'm hoping to have enough heat that the coop never gets to be as cold as I mentioned above. I'll have to ask around about what other people do during the winter up here for their chickens. I'm caught in that ventilation/insulation/heating conundrum lol.

I managed to get into the granary today and take a look inside, I'm getting pretty excited. There are a few spots that need repair in the roof but everything looks fixable so (fingers crossed) we should be starting this spring. This is going to be fun :D!

To spell is so irritating... Wonder how to turn it off...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom