Coop size needed?

1acrebackyard

Chirping
May 15, 2018
Ennis, TX
I am planning my chicken coop and want to make sure it is the proper size for our chicks when they're old enough to move into it. I have 7 chicks. The coop will be built inside a 25ft x 50ft fenced run. I am thinking 3 nesting boxes. How much square footage should I provide for them in the coop? Does the fact they have a larger run allow for smaller coop? Also any advice you have, I would greatly appreciate. Thank you

Take into account that you’ll probably end up with more once chicken math kicks in. Plan for 4 square feet per bird and then some. Maybe just make it 40 square feet. Plenty of room for what you currently have plus you could add 3 more if you wanted. Or make it 50 square feet and you can add even more! Or 60... you get the idea!

That is a lot of darn space!!! I'm getting ten chickens and my run will be smaller that that!!!
your chicken coop size should
Be around 3×4- 3×5 you can make it as tall as you want

That is a lot of darn space!!! I'm getting ten chickens and my run will be smaller that that!!!
your chicken coop size should
Be around 3×4- 3×5 you can make it as tall as you want
It’s a lot, yes, but bigger is better in terms of space.

By the way, 3x4 is only 12 square feet, and enough for NO MORE than 3 chickens. 3x5 is 15 square feet and a tight squeeze for 4 birds. Your run should be at least 100 square feet for 10 birds if you aren’t free ranging them. But you’re saying that your run won’t even be 40-50 square feet?

Back
Top Bottom