Coop ventilation and insulation…please help!

Sconiemamabear

Chirping
Feb 21, 2022
Wisconsin
We are looking at building our own coop. 8x8 lean to shed type. Hubby is a contractor but I’m having a hard time explaining how to properly add ventilation and insulation to our coop. We live in northern Wisconsin with temps in the winter dipping to -20 fahrenheit. Summer temps are highs in the 80’s and 90’s. We plan to add closable windows for added summer ventilation but I’m having a hard time finding examples of additional ventilation for the coop suitable for our cold winters.

We are planing to insulate the walls. But should we also plan to insulate the ceiling? We are not adding supplemental heat. Hubby doesn’t think we need to insulate, we have friends with old run down coops with no insulation. But I figured if we are building it and can swing it, insulation would keep our girls happier and healthier in the extreamly cold temps.

I understand the importance of keeping moisture out and making sure there are no drafts. Any help/ideas/pictures would be great and greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!!

Ventilation between the rafters, in the gable peaks and the ridge with low ventilation coming in from two pop doors. NO INSULATION. My flock has experienced temps down to -23F. Choose breeds with tight combs (pea, rose or small single) and that will minimize frostbite.
Ventilation.png

Large roof overhangs keep wind blown snow and rain from getting in the coop.
cover image.jpg

Ventilation between the rafters, in the gable peaks and the ridge with low ventilation coming in from two pop doors. NO INSULATION. My flock has experienced temps down to -23F. Choose breeds with tight combs (pea, rose or small single) and that will minimize frostbite.
View attachment 3004730

View attachment 3004731
Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!
View attachment 3004730

[
As Dobie has shown, if your ventilation is adequate insulation would be a moot point.

Chickens are very tolerant of cold as long as they are dry and out of the wind.
Thank you, we are going to nix the insulation. That would also give us more options for the coop plans and size.

For ventilation, I have a ridge vent and a large gable vent. Soffit vents would work work too. I know we've all heard it many times: ventilation is key. It is soooooo important.

As far as insulation goes... I live in New England so the temps here in the winter can get pretty cold. I've never insulated. As long as your coop is weather tight and you have a cold hardy breed, I'd put that on the bottom of my list of things to worry about.

We are looking at building our own coop. 8x8 lean to shed type. Hubby is a contractor but I’m having a hard time explaining how to properly add ventilation and insulation to our coop.

As others have mentioned, you don't need insulation. Just make sure that you don't have any drafts coming up from underneath your chickens on the roosting bar at night. I have my ventilation as high in the coop as possible. Heat and moisture will rise and go out those vents. I have some side windows for cross ventilation, but I can close them in the winter if we have a storm coming in.

I live in northern Minnesota, and I have seen temps down to -35F and -40F at nights. My chickens do just fine in their uninsulated coop. They puff up their feathers and keep themselves warm by trapping body heat air next to their bodies. Again, ventilation is important, but draft free is a must in our winters. I also bought cold hardy breeds, which I think is very important.

Since you are going to make your coop, I suggest you consider using dry deep bedding in the coop. I made my coop with the ability to hold up to 12 inches of bedding on the floor by running linoleum up the walls 12 inches. My pop door bottom is at about 12 inches off the floor, so I do have a small ramp both inside and outside the coop. No big deal. I think the dry deep bedding helps to keep the moisture down and also provides some insulation from the cold floor.

The biggest issue for me was that I did not want to have to constantly clean out the coop in the winter months. I start out in the fall with maybe 2 inches of bedding in the coop, and toss in fresh bedding every few weeks all winter long to cover up the frozen poo. That keeps everything clean looking and fresh smelling. In the spring, I will clean out the coop after the snow melts. I might have about 10-12 inches of bedding accumulated over the winter, but all that old bedding gets tossed out to make compost in the spring.

After extensive research, I build based on the concepts of the Woods' Open Air coop. I'm in the upper midwest and am delighted with my coop.

There are quite a few build threads of variations (such as size scaled up or down). I recommend wide eaves to protect the walls. Prince T Woods didn't have them but he was trying for the cheapest possible build, among other things.

A good thread for concept
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-style-house-in-the-winter.445004/#post-5566206

A good thread for detailed design plans https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/8-x-12-woods-coop-design-plan.1221551/

A good thread for theory behind the concept https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-colony-house-portable.1104954/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom