Copper Blue Marans...What do U Think?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chix-in-GA, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    I have an oportunity to buy some eggs through a USAF buddy in the UK. I have some pics of the Hens and Roo from this breeder. Also have some pics of the eggs they are producing.

I am really new to Marans and would like some opinions on these birds.

I would not normally care but the cost in getting them from overseas is a bit higher than here in the states. These come directly from a French line! I thought it would be cool to bring a new bloodline to the states.

Anyway, let me know if you think the eggs might be worth the effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Nice eggs and birds, BUT I would think real hard about getting eggs from there, cause it is illegal to import eggs and or birds without all the paper work, vets and all. If you do get them from there, you better NOT tell a soul where or when you got em...................just my thoughts...........

3. Chix-in-GA

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    I should have clarified...This will be totally legit! We are workin out all the details and paperwork needed to bring them here legally. I truly appreciate the concern.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Those birds look great if you can do it legally I am sure you will have many people clamoring for eggs! Just make sure you get enough eggs to make it worth your wile just not one dozen. They look amazing good luck.

Henry

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    from what I understand, to do it legit takes quite a lot of money more than buying here in the states, like hundreds of dollars more. When I researched it I was told it would take over $1000. If you go to the marans thread and ask there you will get answers, because I know I wasn't the first to consider importing, many there have more info than I [​IMG] . I do remember it being discussed on the yahoo marans site and what was mentioned was - extremely expensive & low hatchability, and also something about the parent stock needs to be tested(more than once) and not many breeders want to go through the effort. There is a big issue with bird flu so it is a tricky thing [​IMG] Good luck!

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

How lucky for you. Does your frind have orpington eggs that can be shipped too [​IMG]

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Oh wow how cool would that be!

8. Chix-in-GA

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Quote:Yup its pretty expensive...I am a member of the Yahoo group as well. I dont mind the cost if the end result is worth it. We have been working out all the details about getting the birds inspected. We are on the second set of test at present. Its a pretty neat prospect and I hope it works out for the best. [​IMG]

Thanks for your input and I will take all the constructive critisism that is available. You guys are the best! [​IMG]

9. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Looks lovely to me, when you are ready to sell, let me know, I want some!!

10. Chix-in-GA

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    Quote:Are orpingtons native to the UK?

I will ask if he can look around....What the heck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by