Cornmeal Yeast Bread

frugal

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
NEK, Vermont
Cornmeal Yeast Bread

Last year my wife baked me this Cornmeal Yeast Bread for the first time and I fell in love with it. If you enjoy Cornbread I think you'll like this bread.

I've used this recipe many, many times now, experimenting with different grinds of Cornmeal. I found that I prefer the coarser grinds however the flavor was always great. It's real easy to make—have fun.

...from the MORE WITH LESS cookbook
by Doris Janzen Longacre ©1976 Herald Press, page 61

Cornmeal Yeast Bread

Dissolve 2 packages (tablespoons) of dry yeast in ½ cup lukewarm water.

Combine in mixing bowl:
• 1½ teaspoon Salt
• ⅓ cup Butter or Margarine
• ½ cup Sugar

Pour ¾ cup of scalded Milk over mixture in bowl.

Cool to lukewarm and then stir in:
• 1 Egg
• 1 cup White Flour
• ¾ cup Cornmeal
• Yeast mixture

Beat well. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough—3 to 3½ cups.

Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead until satiny, about 10 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down.

Divide in half, shape loaves and place in greased loaf pans.

Cover and let rise in warm place until nearly double, about 45 minutes.

Bake @ 350° for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from pans and brush with softened butter.

Let's begin!

cornmealyeastbread01.jpg

The Cast:

Hard White Wheat • Corn • Mixing Bowl • My clock---Mr. Knutz
Salt • Butter • Sugar • Yeast • Egg • Milk

cornmealyeastbread02.jpg

The Grinder

I grind my own cornmeal with the Country Living Grain Mill. You can substitute packaged cornmeal if you don't grind your own.

cornmealyeastbread03.jpg

The Other Grinder

After injuring myself quite badly a few years back I purchased a
motorized Country Living Grain Mill. It works great and today it's grinding my wheat.

cornmealyeastbread04.jpg

Hard White Spring Wheat Flour
and Cornmeal, notice the difference in texture?

cornmealyeastbread07.jpg

Adding the dissolved yeast to the cooled scalded milk mixture.

cornmealyeastbread08.jpg

Next add the egg, cornmeal and flour.

cornmealyeastbread09.jpg

Now it's time to knead. When I'm done I'll have a beautiful round of fragrant dough.

cornmealyeastbread10.jpg

Ready for the first rise...it looks rather small.

cornmealyeastbread16.jpg

After rising to twice its normal size the dough is puffy, aromatic and springs back to a light touch. Punch down and form into a ball.

cornmealyeastbread12.jpg

Time to cut my dough into halves.

cornmealyeastbread13.jpg

Next I roll out each half to prepare for shaping my loaves.

cornmealyeastbread14.jpg

Now roll the dough tightly starting with the long edge, then seal the ends to form a loaf.

cornmealyeastbread17.jpg

All ready for the second rise before baking.

cornmealyeastbread19.jpg

I glazed these loaves with softened butter when they first came out of the oven and left them to cool.

cornmealyeastbread20.jpg

Slathered with butter.
So delicious!

smile.png

*Sigh* Frugal your dreamy! i think i love you sometimes!
lol.png
you have the best recipes! We need to start a Frugal fan club here!...
th.gif
Thanks for all the awesome threads you do for us!!!....even though i'm hard headed, even i was able to learn something from them all!

Thanks Frugal for your excellent tutorials. Have you thought of starting your own BYC page for a one-stop-shop to your awesome tutorials?

Also, I am very interested in your raised bed "cellar" method. Can you explain how you do it? I am going to experiment with a garden once I get the knack of chickens, and I'd love to keep fresh veggies through the winter. i don't know how to can yet either.

Thanks!

I think we need a forum just for Frugal. These posts are so wonderful to read and learn from. Thank you so much for taking the time to take these pictures and post them for us. Really fun stuff.

I always enjoy looking at what you are making!! I normally put them on my list of things to do!! Thank you for posting and please continue to show us!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Quote:
LOL, I raised five daughters who loved me so much they always seemed like a fan club. Some people think I'm hard headed also---whether I am or not I'm always learning.

Quote:
First, I insulated all my raised beds with 3" of foam board and wrapped them with tyvek wrap (this also extended my growing season by 2-3 weeks). I also keep my soil deeper than many people, 12"-15". This has allowed me to winter and easily harvest carrots, beets, and parsnips. I'll be trying some onions next winter.

smile.png

Thanks for the tip! When do you plant the items that you want to leave through the winter? How far into winter do your veggies last?
I'm going to have to give that a try this year!

I agree about starting the Frugal fan club.

YUM!
I just got some cornmeal ground at a local mill.
I als oogt some maple syrup tapped form trees at the same place and may sub that for the sugar in your recipe.

This will be a great recipe for me to use this Sunday when the forecast says rain
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom