Coronation Sussex Thread!

I just took these pics.
For now, it seems like she's/he's going to make it, but it may take a while for the umbilical hernia to heal. Other than keeping it separated & ointment once in a while (when I can remember it), I haven't done much.
Here's Hope at 15 days old. Does the growth & feathering seem about right for the age & breed?

Great news:
At 18 days old, the large navel scab completely came off. It was there this morning & nothing's noticeable now. I allowed the two from my ICU to join the others in the grassy play yard. No scuffles, so they'll be sleeping in the garage tonight with the rest of chicks. I just checked & all is well.

Here is Hope now.

Now I hope Hope is a female.

"Hope" is still around. Here he is at 7+ weeks old on a very hot day. Is there any hope of him being a pullet? My gut just says boy even though he's smaller/lighter than the EE pullets of same age. It's that red comb.

Do you guys know if it is more common for a Coronation Sussex to go broody or a Light Sussex?
Would be a huge help!
Thank you :weee

:welcome
I couldn't say one way or the other, temperament wise they are the same. I can tell you that if you do let them sit it is wise to cut off all access to other hens. Sussex are a heavy breed and when they ' muscle down ' to protect their eggs from being taken over by another hen , the eggs don't fair well. Last year I lost several full term chicks to this , so now I let my silkie hatch them for me.

Do you guys know if it is more common for a Coronation Sussex to go broody or a Light Sussex?
Would be a huge help!
Thank you
wee.gif
I had 2 Coros go broody, but none of the lights.

I'm so sorry your chicks passed. My experience didn't go well either. 8 out of 12 eggs looked great on day 18, but only one made it out of the shell. (Hope- the herniated navel.)

Hope is 8 weeks now & perfectly normal - except that I can't tell the gender for sure. Looks like a pullet in shape, stance, comb size & weight, but the comb is so red. No pointy hackle/saddle feathers yet. My gut is saying male, but hoping for a female. If Hope starts to crow, I'll be looking for his new home. If you're still mourning your loss in a few weeks, pm me.

I just found this yesterday. Look at post #27510 but the whole page is interesting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs/27500

I think that there is some inbreeding issues with the Coros. When I first fell in love with this breed we bought eggs from a breeder twice with no hatch and once with two hatched and both eaten by a predator . We bought chicks from the same breeder with none making it past 6 weeks of age. So we ordered eggs off of another breeder(3 dozen and had 3 hatch) all of which died. So I gave up and then Greenfire put their breeders up for sale and my wife and kids bought them for me and we have had great success with them. Hatch rates are great and they are such gorgeous birds.
We got coronation sussex hatching eggs from BJs Poultry, in Powell, Michigan. Out of 4 shipped eggs, the broody smashed 2 about 17 days into it, the other 2 hatched. Both are pullets. Great big birds.
I believe his stock are from Greenfire farms. I would definitely order eggs again from him. Highly recommend him.

My kids insisted on taking some Christmas pics with our hens. Below is Hope our CS. She hasn't stared laying yet, but we still like her. Maybe she'll give us an egg for Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom