Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

MROO

Enabler
Feb 26, 2018
The North-Eastern Corner of Maryland
AMEN!, Mary. I don't do any social media at all and the more time that goes by and the more I learn about how it's used to manipulate people and intrude into their lives the happier I am about the situation. We also have declined to install any of the devices that wire households to the internet, Ring, Alexa, etc. aren't welcome in our house.

Forums and e-mail give me all the opportunity I need to find community, exchange information and stay in touch.
I BROKE ALEXA!
Last year, while visiting a friend, I was asked to give Alexa a riddle. I gave her a common one from my own childhood. "Alexa, what's black and white, black and white, black and white?" The widely known, standard answer was "A Penguin rolling down a hill, (but of course, my Catholic-raised father would say it was a nun!) Alexa got lost! No matter how many times we asked her, she came up with a list of random answers ... a frog, a basketball hoop, all sorts of weird stuff.
After that, I refused to invite Alexa into my home. How can I trust her with important questions if she can't even answer a tired, old riddle? Zheesh!

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
In my continuing search for seasonal items I came across this mask pattern for a shaped mask which is very easy to do and very comfortable to wear. I'm making a new bunch in Christmas fabrics for the fam and friends. I made one for myself in flannel and I think I'll line all of them with flannel from now on but, as it's more loosely woven and gets more so with washings, I'll use 2 layers of quilting cotton and then the flannel.

She has tutorials for several other styles of face masks.

3d-filter-face-mask-tutorial-373x373.jpg

And when I registered on that site to download her pattern she sent me a link to tutorials for zippered bags including this totally awesome one which uses the spine of a book for the structure of the clutch. I'm making one for myself and one for my favorite book club friend.

Not too late, I think, to make a few of these as Christmas presents.
zipper-book-clutch-tutorial.jpg

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
I've found a number of tutorials for making hot chocolate bombs if anyone wants me to post them. But they 1) use those artificial candy melt things that I don't think would be worth drinking or 2) require tempering chocolate which is do-able but majorly fussy for this time of year.

I just ordered mine from Costco.

In case it's a new concept, chocolate bombs are little chocolate spheres that fit in a cup and have cocoa powder and marshmallows inside. When you pour on hot milk, it melts the chocolate case and allows the contents to escape and create the hot chocolate. A little interactive fun for a cold, dark but nevertheless festive time of year.

ChocolateMouse

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2013
Cleveland OH
What's that?
They're a bit like bath bombs but much smaller and a bit denser. And you drop them on the bottom of your shower (usually they have a flat side for it) and they fizz and dissolve. And they fill the air with nice perfumey smells. These ones are going to have peppermint, tea tree, lavender and menthol eucalyptus to clear your sinuses when you've got a cold or a flu, like vicks vapo rub but much nicer.

Top Bottom