Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Anyone seen any great masks for Christmas? Or a great Christmas print fabric? Or a printable -- like a snowman or Santa's beard or something -- I could transfer to cotton to make a mask?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction if you see anything.
1606700601447.png
1606700626771.png

In my continuing search for seasonal items I came across this mask pattern for a shaped mask which is very easy to do and very comfortable to wear. I'm making a new bunch in Christmas fabrics for the fam and friends. I made one for myself in flannel and I think I'll line all of them with flannel from now on but, as it's more loosely woven and gets more so with washings, I'll use 2 layers of quilting cotton and then the flannel.

She has tutorials for several other styles of face masks.

3d-filter-face-mask-tutorial-373x373.jpg

And when I registered on that site to download her pattern she sent me a link to tutorials for zippered bags including this totally awesome one which uses the spine of a book for the structure of the clutch. I'm making one for myself and one for my favorite book club friend.

Not too late, I think, to make a few of these as Christmas presents.
zipper-book-clutch-tutorial.jpg

I've found a number of tutorials for making hot chocolate bombs if anyone wants me to post them. But they 1) use those artificial candy melt things that I don't think would be worth drinking or 2) require tempering chocolate which is do-able but majorly fussy for this time of year.

I just ordered mine from Costco.

In case it's a new concept, chocolate bombs are little chocolate spheres that fit in a cup and have cocoa powder and marshmallows inside. When you pour on hot milk, it melts the chocolate case and allows the contents to escape and create the hot chocolate. A little interactive fun for a cold, dark but nevertheless festive time of year.

What's that?

They're a bit like bath bombs but much smaller and a bit denser. And you drop them on the bottom of your shower (usually they have a flat side for it) and they fizz and dissolve. And they fill the air with nice perfumey smells. These ones are going to have peppermint, tea tree, lavender and menthol eucalyptus to clear your sinuses when you've got a cold or a flu, like vicks vapo rub but much nicer.

Fascinating cdc article my Better-half shared with me:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cdcresponse/accomplishments/excess-death-data.html

And an update on extended family stats:
Michigan, a bunch are now sick
Arkansas, about a dozen are sick and our favorite Aunt just went into the hospital her hubby is also positive for covid but, still home. The cousin who is a nurse is beside herself in frustration at the rest of the family not being careful or serious still.

Here, good news is both our kiddos are better health wise but, the elder teen is still in the mental fog from covid and it's been really hard on her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom