Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

So many comments... gotta comment in blocks of pages I guess.

How long seeds last

Super useful, thanks for posting! I keep my seeds and plant them until they no longer sprout, and then I turn the packet sideways in my seed bin so I know what to order for the next season.

I think golf is a way for people to get out of the house, get exercise, fresh air and sunshine while maintaining social distance unlike some sports that put you in close contact like, say, basketball or volleyball.... people are doing a lot of bicycling these days too.

Hate to bring this up, but I think part of the reason golf is being allowed in some states (while public parks are closed) is due to socio-economic reasons... that is, the people who make the decisions are also the people with money. Golf takes money - for memberships, for equipment.

And I bring it up because conversations about things like how COVID-19 has effected us based on race, sexuality, gender, etc. have been dismissed as off topic and political by the same people who thought it was ok to talk about shooting people during food shortages. Someone earlier called me a troll for bringing up the FDA changes for gay people and blood donations. Another person said it was too off topic to discuss how we should all wear masks to help normalize it for black people and asians. A lot of people DID claim they didn't see racism happening so it wasn't there while also not being in a position to see it.

Amen.

It's a lot. We've only gone out for groceries, feed, medicine or G's work since the first week of March. Even all that is reduced. We're going out for groceries about half as often right now.

It's starting to really wear on me. My mental health thrives on having a healthy social network and it's largely gone.

I think this is starting to wear on a lot of people. I've noticed, during this past weekend and this week as well, there's a lot more people out and about than before. I think people are really fatigued with isolation and just desperate to be somewhere else. At least around here we're permitted to "leisurely drive" if that's what someone wants to do to get out of the house.

Just verifying. My husband said the quarantine has gotten extended til end of May. Are they just doing little extensions so people don’t freak out if they had told em from the start that the quarantine would be 6 months (just said a random number)

Edited to add: or is this only in GA? Or nationwide? Thanks!!

State by state. WA state is currently extended until May 4th I think?

I honestly don't get how people get irritated with their family and they can't handle their family though, that makes no sense to me.

I just don't see how people could be hating their families or their home because they are locked up in it for a couple of weeks or a month.

You're lucky then to have a family that's close. Unfortunate reality is, not everyone has good relationships with their family. To tell them they have to stay locked up with parents or siblings or a partner who is abusive to them... you can't imagine how difficult this must be right now. Honestly surprised the rate of death or serious injury from domestic battery haven't skyrocketed, or maybe it's not being published.

Bonus time at the nursery! Not only did I get the plants I need to replace what the insects have destroyed but I found a big box of nitrile gloves and 2 small but grossly overpriced bottles of 70% hand sanitizer.

...oh and a couple of my favorite plants -- gerberas and a pink campanula. Pink isn't my favorite color by a long shot but I so rarely see campanula and that sweet bell-shaped fairy tale flower is sure to lift my spirits when I'm outside in the garden. Actually, going online to try to find out how to keep it alive -- this time -- is what I'm doing online again.

First hand sanitizer I've even seen since this thing started! And now it's mine, all mine!
Lucky you!

My hat's off to you if you can keep chickens around bears! No kidding!!!

When I live in Vancouver I regularly had to protect my garbage from raccoons and bears. They often won. I'm so glad that and some clean up was all that was at stake!

Hahaha, thank you. :)
Luckily, many of my neighbors aren’t the brightest and have bird feeders that thoroughly distract visiting bears. :bun

Chatted with a friend in NYC yesterday and I guess the city is now requiring everyone to mask up if they go outside for any reason. No sewing machine (her daughter took it to college -in Boston - so of course they can't go get it back) so she's been handsewing them out of whatever discarded fabric she can find, like old t-shirts.

FYI, and I'm sure you're all aware of this, but wearing a mask doesn't help if you keep touching your face. :hmm Went to the grocery store today and lady in front of me in line kept fiddling with hers, pulling it on and off.

Chatted with a friend in NYC yesterday and I guess the city is now requiring everyone to mask up if they go outside for any reason. No sewing machine (her daughter took it to college -in Boston - so of course they can't go get it back) so she's been handsewing them out of whatever discarded fabric she can find, like old t-shirts.

FYI, and I'm sure you're all aware of this, but wearing a mask doesn't help if you keep touching your face. :hmm Went to the grocery store today and lady in front of me in line kept fiddling with hers, pulling it on and off.
Yeah, I live in Northampton, MA and everyone’s just chosen to do that. It helps to prevent sick people spreading germs through snot drops/breath/spit spray.
I’m so sorry you have family in NYC. I great librarian friend I had moved there about 2 months ago (awful timing), and I worry about her all the time.
Another good friend’s sister lives there with her newborn son, but luckily she found a vacant cabin in the middle of nowhere to rent for a few weeks and then she is going to go stay with her parents after it’s 100% confirmed she doesn’t have it.

Also, that woman is very silly. What’s the point in wearing it of you aren’t going to leave it on?

Fabric doesn't stop the virus anyway. Could it help, I guess. But people will be people and think they wont have to abide as much to CDC suggestions.

Let's see if they guessed right for my state.
I'm going to bookmark this post do I can find it later this month.
Screenshot_20200408-174241.png

Back
Top Bottom