Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Couple of tips...
Get good quality, get an extra set of blades, and always keep a can of lube/coolant handy.
If you are doing a complete shave down, the blades can get hot and it's easy to actually burn the skin.
As you are shaving press your hand to the flat part of the blade often to feel how hot they may be getting. Spray with coolant. When they don't want to cool down, change them out with your spare set. Be sure to gently pull the skin flat as you go too. Small knicks can be sealed up with skin glue.

Don't be afraid to try a pair of mat scissors to cut out the mats and then keep those areas cut short with scissors. They don't need to be super sharp either, Just take your time and do little bits at a time. Slow and steady.
Thank you!!! This is extremely helpful!!!
I missed it, What are we cutting?
The cat :lau

I’m having the groomers at the vet do it this time though because she’s really matted but next time I think I’m gonna do it myself before she gets so bad.
Cats. In to itty bitty pieces.

.....the fur mats I mean.
I shaved a cat when I was a kid. I didn't know at 6 years old, I wasn't supposed to use moms electric razor on the kitty. I saw dad shave, and thought the cat needed shaving too! just FYI
:lau :gig :lau you guys are killin me!!!!

Note about scissors and mats; use the scissors at 90 degrees from the skin, so up through the mat, not parallel to the skin. Many cuts up through each mat, until it can be combed or pulled out.
If you cut flat against the skin, 'especially if you pull up a bit on the mat, you will have a laceration and a vet visit!
Mary
Thanks!!! Good to know!! This is really helpful!! I think for this time I’m just take her to the vet cause she’s pretty bad atm but after this hopefully I can keep her trimmed before she gets matted or catch smaller ones before they turn bad like this.

There have been smaller peaceful protests here in my area but hardly any of them are wearing masks. (according to what I saw on my local news)
They are moving and marching, but they are also pretty tightly bunched up and chanting. I hope our hospitals don't get overwhelmed again.

Was juuuuust beginning to wonder if I really needed to hatch out extra chicks. Glad I finally got electric fence around the garden too so the critter loss will hopefully be much less and I'll have more for the pantry and freezer this year.
The protests here started with everyone wearing masks and distancing but that changed pretty quickly. They're holding the protest in the very heart of our local outbreak, both by location and timing. Local news doesn't talk about the virus anymore, I actually have to remind them to do an update on the local numbers?!? It's amazing how quickly people have forgotten about the pandemic and the course of history, Philadelphia parade anyone?

I shaved a cat when I was a kid. I didn't know at 6 years old, I wasn't supposed to use moms electric razor on the kitty. I saw dad shave, and thought the cat needed shaving too! just FYI
oh yeah that reminds me, time to trim the kitty. We have a ragdoll, non-working AC, and a heat wave coming...
ziggy2.jpg

Couple of tips...
Get good quality, get an extra set of blades, and always keep a can of lube/coolant handy.
If you are doing a complete shave down, the blades can get hot and it's easy to actually burn the skin.
As you are shaving press your hand to the flat part of the blade often to feel how hot they may be getting. Spray with coolant. When they don't want to cool down, change them out with your spare set. Be sure to gently pull the skin flat as you go too. Small knicks can be sealed up with skin glue.

Don't be afraid to try a pair of mat scissors to cut out the mats and then keep those areas cut short with scissors. They don't need to be super sharp either, Just take your time and do little bits at a time. Slow and steady.
As a agreed upon point, we have the twist off swapping heads.
4-5 of the "peach fuzz Length
4-5 of the ~1/8 to 3/8" length
So I also notice that when they get above "really warm" they start to not cut the matted areas as well.... This is just before it gets "hot' to the back of your hand.... So I rotate between 3 heads as that seems to be the right amount of time for the heads to cool down with a light spray of the lube/disinfectant/cooling spray. I like to use the blue can but, ymmv.
I can do pics later today to show my setup.

Back
Top Bottom