Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I've been deep in prep for a week.

I'm sous viding my turkey this year -- 3 large boned and tied breasts. Lots of leftovers for the kids to take home as we are a family who sees Thanksgiving dinner as the preliminary to the leftover sandwiches.

We did a test run on sous viding several weeks ago and all agreed it was juicy and wonderful so they're already cooked and bagged to have a second sous vide overnight tonight to bring them up to temperature and then just a short "roast" at high temperature tomorrow. There won't be a Norman Rockwell turkey to carve at the table but I'm ready to let that go.

I made stock last week from necks, backs and wings the butcher supplied with the breasts. I've finished my gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. My rolls have been proofed once and frozen. They just need to be thawed overnight and baked tomorrow morning. I baked the pie shell for my pumpkin pie yesterday and the filling is in a jar in the fridge. The apples for my apple pie have been macerating and had a short microwave to soften them up. I'll roll out the double crust, fill it and bake along with the pumpkin pie while we have dinner. Pumpkin cheesecake bars are baked and are thawing in the fridge now. My daughter is bringing the bourbon vanilla ice cream she made yesterday.

Bread for the sandwiches is already baked. (This is the first time in my life I've managed to braid a six-strand plait and I can't tell you how proud of this I am.)

View attachment 2425101

Tomorrow I'll be doing veggies and mashed potatoes and finishing the above. Should be a breeze. And the taste test on the sous vide turkey was so good, I anticipate that we'll do T-day this way in the future. Even clean up should be a easy peazy because I'll be doing most of it today.

Tomorrow night is turkey sandwiches on homemade bread spread with cranberry sauce for sweetness and blue cheese for tartness then drizzled with gravy for YUM. A layer of stuffing is optional.
That bread is beautiful! Bet it tastes great, it has to!

It does! It's a James Beard recipe for a buttermilk loaf I've been using for at least 40 years. It makes great toast and great turkey sandwiches. I make it every year at this time.

I just sent a note to a friend I used to see on a regular basis because we're in the same gardening club. The club hasn't met since the shut down, of course, but we've been in Zoom meetings together and passed notes. She and I also met face-to-face a month or so ago to create those succulent decorated pumpkin centerpieces.

Anyway, I sent a note wishing her a nice Thanksgiving and it turns out that she and her son's entire family (who live in a different household) have all gotten the virus. I hadn't had a clue! But she says hers wasn't bad and she's recovered sufficiently that they plan to have dinner together tomorrow. Still makes me nervous how many other people may be ill and not calling attention to it. I need to do a better job of staying in touch!

Speaking of the virus, I read an article today about the potential reactions to the vaccines. People who've been in trials seem to know when they've gotten the antigens because they can have a variety of reactions ranging from soreness at the injection site to fever to exhaustion. All this concerns some epidemiologists because they fear people who have reactions won't present for the second injection. Without the second one, they won't have achieved enough antibodies to have any effective immunity.

I share this because I hope if people choose to get vaccinated they'll do it with their eyes open and a commitment to following through. The side effects only last 2-3 days. The immunity can last a year or more. And the more of us that can achieve immunity, the better the odds on life returning to some new kind of normal.

Life has changed a lot but honestly I hardly went anywhere before anyways. Life should have changed though somewhat, you should be living differently. The numbers of cases are crazy, and I can't even imagine how it's going to be in a week or so with all these folks celebrating thanksgiving like everything's fine. People probably will continue to not take it seriously until they themselves get it or a loved one gets it and/or falls seriously ill or worse.
It honestly really drives me nutty just how many folks are so ignorant and only think of themselves though. I'm not going anywhere for thanksgiving, and for christmas I may not either.

Happy turkey day, and shoutouts to all my native chicken keepers and distant relations - I'm eating turkey tonight but you're in my thoughts today. :( <3

The parade is kind of cracking me up. Every celebrity's holiday message is like "WEAR UR MASK BUD" "DON'T VIST GRANDMA" "STAY HOME". XD And I can't help but have some schadenfreude to the people watching it with huge parties of people with no masks. My sympathy to all our healthcare workers.

Back
Top Bottom