Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I'm not sure how much difference it makes to drop the age of eligibility. ...at least here.

CA has a population of 39.5 million people. It's consistently the one of the top 3 states hit by the virus and our illness count exceeds every other country on the globe. Some 3 million doses of vaccine have been delivered to the state and only about 25% of those have been administered.

So far my daughter is one of about 6,000 people in SoCal who've been vaccinated. Thank god!!! A retired doctor friend who hasn't seen a patient in 20 years has as well. He admits he pulled the "doctor" card and he managed to get his shots. They're the only people I know who've been vaccinated so far.
I read an article that talked about younger people waiting outside the hospital at the end of the night for vaccines. The vaccines are being thrown out instead of used, so they pay the medical staff to give it to them. The article mentions a need for a “next in line” list to prevent wasted vaccines.

Here in NY they are not doing very good vaccinating. Hopefully things change last Mon our Gov finally was convinced to change the rules. It was only healthcare professionals and those in nursing homes, nobody else and no other elderly. Not enough wanted the vaccine so every time they opened a vial for the one or two that showed up they had to throw the rest away because they would be fined if given to anyone else.

Here in NY they are not doing very good vaccinating. Hopefully things change last Mon our Gov finally was convinced to change the rules. It was only healthcare professionals and those in nursing homes, nobody else and no other elderly. Not enough wanted the vaccine so every time they opened a vial for the one or two that showed up they had to throw the rest away because they would be fined if given to anyone else.

A 22yo my husband knows was in a pharmacy that got caught with one of those opened-but-not-emptied vials. The pharmacist asked him if he wanted to be vaccinated. He said but I'm not eligible. The pharmacist said you are if I'm going to have to throw it away. He got his first shot and a ticket that said he was eligible for the second shot.

A 22yo my husband knows was in a pharmacy that got caught with one of those opened-but-not-emptied vials. The pharmacist asked him if he wanted to be vaccinated. He said but I'm not eligible. The pharmacist said you are if I'm going to have to throw it away. He got his first shot and a ticket that said he was eligible for the second shot.
Better than going to waste.

I can't find what the fine would have been, only that Cuomo said they would be fined and lose their license and have criminal charges.
I did find this on CNBC Jan 4; The state has received more than 774,000 Covid-19 vaccine doses but has given just 237,000 shots as of Saturday
Hospitals that have received Covid-19 vaccines over the last three weeks have used only about 46% of the doses on average, according to a slide Cuomo presented at the briefing. While some hospitals have administered nearly all of their doses, others have used as little as 15%. He said hospitals are facing fines of up to $100,000 if they don't administer their allocations of coronavirus vaccines by the end of this week.

So, he wanted to fine hospitals for not administering the vaccine to people in his rules that didn't want it while they were throwing it away to avoid fines..
Glad he finally decided to allow others to get it if they want. Those over 65 now, and a lot of other essential workers. Disagree with his allowing anyone in govt, local govt no age or health requirements even local volunteer fire dept.

46% may be about right if the 2ND doses don't come in as fast as we were expecting though... It's mismanagement for sure, and heads should roll because exceptions should have been accounted for, but at this rate with our current vaccine stockpile we may need those hold backs if supplies dry up as people internationally rush to vaccinate due to the new strain.

Only time will tell at this rate.

46% may be about right if the 2ND doses don't come in as fast as we were expecting though... It's mismanagement for sure, and heads should roll because exceptions should have been accounted for, but at this rate with our current vaccine stockpile we may need those hold backs if supplies dry up as people internationally rush to vaccinate due to the new strain.

Only time will tell at this rate.
This whole mess has been on big learning curve. There have been lots of mistakes and miscalculations, for sure - some from rushing and some from over-cautiousness. Let's hope we can learn those lessons quickly and get the proverbial ball rolling at a "higher rate of forward momentum!"

Back
Top Bottom