Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I hope being cognizant of what's going on -- even if he doesn't believe all of it -- makes it easier on him and, as a result, easier on you.

Terrible timing but you've got to trust that the hospitals and all the personnel are doing what they can to help the folks who are sick and keep people who aren't from adding illness to their other issues.

Meanwhile, (HUGS).

Screenshot_20210205-205150.png

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/covid-underlying-conditions.html

Oh no. I hope you get good results and it's just a cold. :O Alzheimers is very rough. My best friends family has a lot of it.
It only took one day for results! Got it today. Negative! Good to know. I went ahead yesterday and bought an oximeter from Amazon. Got it today. The guy that came out first yesterday to the car said it would be a good idea. Thinking he was ..noting...older folks... ;) Boy, husband is more sick today. Coughing. Poor guy, that's miserable. They did say to keep him home until his symptoms subside. Well...yeah. We aren't one to go out when ill. Even if it isn't too bad. We don't work, do don't need to go spread a I bug.

I think that's what accounts for the discussion of getting everyone the first shot and then beginning the round of second shots after everyone who wants one has gotten their initial dose.

There's some research coming out of Israel, where they lost no time getting vaccine in arms, that their incidence of infections plummeted as they got a significant portion of their population a first shot.

Apparently, it takes a couple weeks for the body to respond with a robust immune reaction but even that first shot, after a couple weeks, produces as much as 50% immunity. I think the benchmark for a "successful" vaccine is 60% immunity. But in these emergency conditions 50% immunity for 80% of the global population (if we're not all immune we're all still vulnerable) might be a better choice than 95% immunity for 10%.

The UK has gone to broader distribution of first shots. The verdict's still out on the strategy but perhaps they'll have some results to consider in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I just had such a fun morning!

Scripps College is doing online Zoom events. For a friend's birthday I sent her a ticket to cook brunch with Yotam Ottolenghi. The deal is you can do it for free or you can pay a fee and have critical ingredients and the recipe shipped to you in advance. So I signed both of us up for the cook along version. (We met more than 10 years ago on a cooking blog.)

We had Ottolenghi on Zoom on our computers and one another on iPads on FaceTime. When the hour program was over we took the food and the iPads to our respective tables and we and our husbands had brunch together.

It was such fun! It was like passing notes in class without getting caught. And the recipe, which was sort of a cross between pasta puttanesca and shakshuka was terrific too.

PS For $30 each we got some conventional dry pasta, a variety of pitted olives that was new to me, some smoked paprika and some caraway seeds. NOT a bargain grocery-wise. BUT we got the recipe in advance so we could have our mise en place prepared and could truly cook along.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom