1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coturnix leg injury - icky

Discussion in 'Quail' started by galanie, May 29, 2011.

1. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I noticed one of my quail liked to just lord over the dust pan and was watching this morning as it rose a second. It was very lame in one leg!

So I pulled it out and looked. It's entire "drumstick" is swollen and a bright, nasty green! I can't see an injury other than something that kind of looks like an ingrown feather follicle. What should I do? Just give antibiotics and hope or cull or what?

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    If it's an ingrown feather follicle, take some tweezers and start digging..then apply some neosporin and bandage the leg.

3. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:I was afraid someone would say something like that [​IMG] Normally I'm not so squeamish, it's weird that I would be hesitant about it. Ok, digging I will go!

4. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I'm stupid. I clipped its feathers on it's leg so I could see everything better and then I noticed it turning its leg out in an unnatural manner. So now I think it's more likely a badly broken leg. Its foot section moves out and in freely and it can't move its foot at all.

It is in a chick chair right now while I consider what to do and await more advice. /sigh

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Ack! How old is the bird? I am afraid you may have to consider culling.....

6. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It's young, only about 10 weeks old. Yep, today I'm sure it needs culling. Leg is now permantly sticking at right angles to the body. It's inside in a small cage and comfortable (I guess) but yep, I'm thinking you're right. I have no idea what to do for it other than antibiotics and I'm not going to spend money on it. It's not like a beloved pet, thank God.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by