Coturnix quail feed

28% is actually the suggested goal for buttons. Coturnix shouldn't be much off from that. The problem is that it's really not cost effective to feed that high of protein so it's hard to find feeds with protein much over 22-24%. If I could get 28% I would use that and then just mix it with the layer to increase calcium. I'd still have the same protein ratio I have now with my gamebird feed. It would work far better than using cat food to supplement the younger quail. I've fed my buttons 30% protein for short periods by using a 42% dog food mixed with gamebird feed but it's too expensive plus the constant grinding since not even the adults can eat whole dog food.

Quote:
I believe gamebird starter is at 28%, so you could buy a bag of starter and a bag of breeder at 22% and mix them if you wanted that ratio. Mine are on breeder and they are 10 weeks now and im getting more eggs everyday, with my first couple being laid on Thursday.

Like I said there is nothing but 22% gamebird feed and 16% layer here. There is no feed higher protein and the chick starter is all medicated. I would have to special order anything else. If I could get 28% starter I absolutely definitely would and probably stock up on bags for the next 6months just in case.

Quote:
Are you dealing with a feedstore?? I know mine doesnt carry gamebird anything so i have to have them order it. I can tell them on Friday i need this, and it will be in on Tuesday and they dont add special order charges on at all. If you are getting the feed from Walmart, that could be a problem!!

I have tried and tried to find game bird feed out here and so far I have had no luck. I'm feeding mine a 24% turkey, quail and "some other bird I can't recall at the moment" starter. I've got a load of extra eggs to scramble and supplement when needed.

Use purinea gamebird startena for quail chicks its the best. Its a complete feed you add nothing. once the chicks are 4 weeks i switch to layena its perfect. I get more and bigger eggs and better fertility as well. Iv'e wasted lots of $ on all the others.

Look up a feed store that sells purnia brand, they can order it for you.

Pop

My feedstore will only special order turkey starter and it's medicated. One store carries 22% gamebird feed, layer, and medicated chick starter along with grit (no oyster shell). The other carries 20% meat bird feed, layer, medicated chick starter and oyster shell (no grit). Then the small feed store only has layer in stock but will order medicated turkey starter for people. You'd think in the middle of farming country there'd be more options.

/cough ..hatching cam../cough

cool.png

The bator is warming up.
wink.png
I convinced my boyfriend I need to hatch some dark layers cause I only have 2 hens left and I might just slip some coturnix eggs in there with them.

Back
Top Bottom