coughing chicken

It appears that she is on the mend. I intend to give her several more penicillin shots and make sure she is completely well before I return her to the flock. However, she mind wind up having her neck wrung if she doesn't shut up. She keeps emitting a long drawn out squawk about every 2 seconds. After hours and hours of listening to her you can help but wonder if maybe it was better. Not really, but it was quieter.

Last edited:
Mein Huhn ist tot. I thought that with how much better she was doing she just might make it. She had started eating and drinking on her own. I was continuing the penicillin G and the Nurti-Drench and was very optimistic about her chances. To she was back to very distressed breathing. I check her about noon and decided that after lunch I was going to got back to trying to push fluids. Got everything ready and then discovered her lying in the bottom of the cage. She haven't figured out what she and the marans had but I hope none of the others come down with it.

Opa, so sorry to hear you've lost some birds. I just lost a big beautiful 15 pound rooster who was fine one day and sitting lethargic the next with a slight gurgle. After a week in my kitchen, with me cleaning thick sticky mucus out of this throat twice a day and injecting him with first Penicillin G and later Baytril and hand feeding/watering - he eventualy died anyway. He just kept getting worse. When he died I was holding him and his head went down and all sorts of liquid and globs of mucus and hunks of "stuff" came out of his lungs. It didn't come out of his crop because he had stopped even drinking two days earlier. He also never had any problem with his eyes or nose.

I think I'll order some of the Oxine that was recommended because I had read about it when researching other treatments. Not sure if anyone else is going to come down with it or not.

Whatever this gunk is, i've been fighting it for 2+ months. I've lost a lot of birds, all babies. The adults seem to be tougher with it. They've been on Gallimycin recently, but it didn't seem to be doing anything. And I thought gmy was a gorilla-cillin. So, they're off of it now, and I'm hitting the sickest ones with Tylan injectable. I'm at a complete loss at this point. First i thought it was MG, then CRD, then Coryza (nowhere to test around here), but none of the treatments are working. Every time I see one with sticky eyes now, i want to cry. Just when I think I have it beat, it flares back up. It's enough to put me off chickens. The Seramas have in the bator are going to be in strict quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom