Could I add a couple Silkies to my flock of 9 five month old Buff Orpington pullet/hens?

Letsgetchickens

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Northeast Ohio
My daughter texted me a couple days ago asking if I wanted any Silkies. Her friend has some (I'm not even sure of age) and wanted to know if anyone wanted any, I assume to buy. I told my daughter no. But I have been thinking about it since she asked...lol. Would they get along with the size difference? Would the Silkies be over powered if there were only 2 or 3 of them compared to 9 Buffs?

I "probably" will stick no my answer of "no I don't want any". But, I originally wanted Silkies and/or Crested...they are so cute! We ended up with Buffs, and have no regrets...we love them....but what if....😉

I personally wouldn't. Silkies can be vulnerable to bullying and peck injuries from larger birds. Roosters can sometimes hold their own, but hens are often bullied. It can work with enough room, and places for birds to get away from each other, but under confinement it can turn deadly.

I'm sure there are people who have made it work. I personally am a bit cautious as I've seen what chickens can do to each other.

Back
Top Bottom