Could something be stuck in her throat? *VIDEO ADDED POST 8*

Rockin' Reds

Songster
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
Penrose, Colorado
Hi all. I have a 21 week old Dark Brahma who is having trouble breathing. She makes a wheezing sound when exhaling. She was fine all day and when I went to check on her to put her to bed she was sitting in one of the nest boxes struggling to breathe. I looked in her mouth with a flashlight but I can't see anything. She exhibits no other symptoms. No runny nose, no sneezing, poop is normal. She has been eating and drinking normally. None of the other birds she was raised with are ill.

I am not sure what to do at this point to help her. I tried to stretch her neck out to see if it may dislodge a wood chip or something but that really didn't help. When I turned her over on her back to look down her throat she really had trouble breathing. She seems to do better upright. If anyone has anything to offer as far as advice goes I would greatly appreciate it.

ETA: She is now also making the wheezing noise while inhaling as well.

Last edited:
Years and years ago when I first got chickens, I had birds doing a similar thing. A very old vet gave me some medicine to put in the water and said that they had Roup. I had never heard of it before, and sadly, dont remember much about it.

Thanks for the replies. No change this morning. I'm not sure if something may be stuck in her throat or her windpipe, but I will give the bread and olive oil a try. Hopefully it's her throat and we can get it moving.

Another possibility is gapeworm. These are carried by worms, slugs and snails. If the olive oil doesn't do the trick, then I'd seriously think about worming them with the sppropriate worming medication.

Thanks for your help...she died this afternoon. She started shaking her head more and more vigorously and then began having seizures. I held her and she died.
hit.gif
It was just awful but I'm thankful I had her even only for a short time. She was such a sweetheart. RIP Dorothy...I already miss you girl. My husband helped me do necropsy and there were no gapeworms in her trachea or throat, but we didn't go any further with it, so I couldn't say why this happened. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom