Coyotes vs Wolves

xke4

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
I have a family of 5 coyotes right near my house that are bothering my dog, crapping on my driveway, worrying my birds and generally being a pain. I have downloaded the sounds of wolves howling and am playing it intermittently over my outdoor speakers quite loudly( thank goodness the neighbours are off in the distance) . Am I nuts or is this an option to shooting them? So far any attempt to dispatch them with firepower has been unsuccessful. Too quick and clever. And I don't want to try the poison method.

They will figure it out eventually, build your coop like Fort Knox and keep your pets inside about dusk. A single dog, no matter what breed, is no match for a few Coyotes.

No real solution except to shoot them or bring in real wolves (the latter being a TERRIBLE idea.) Reinforce your chicken coop. If they start attacking your birds there will be no stopping them as long as you have the birds unless you shoot them.

You need to increase your fire power.
Go to a good sporting goods store and tell them your problem. They will tell you what you need. I would go with a 223 Smith & Wesson. This gun will give you the power, distance and accuracy needed to kill this predator.

I'd have them shot. We had a heifer up on a distant pasture that had been chased and her tail pulled off by coydogs. We have domestic dogs mixed in with the coyotes here in Maine. They will get after your dogs, cats and if you have sheep, ducks and what nots, they will either be played to death or chewed up in a territorial fight.
If coydogs are in your area, then wolves are not in the area and they know it. You need a scent with the howling...animals are not stupid. Good luck!

Ah . Yes. About that increase in firepower. Unfortunately, here in Canada, you cannot purchase a firearm without an 'acquisition" permit. To get this, one must take a weekend long course...something which I plan to do. Right now, I only have a "possession" license which allows me to purchase ammo for my sad little .22 which is the only gun I have and have registered. This is the result of a huge scam hatched by our government a few years back to get the nasty guns off the street. I'm sure you can guess how it is working so far. Has cost us millions. So I am at the mercy of friends who are hunters but of course they can only come when convenient to them and not when I am staring one down in the woods.

LOL .22's aint the most powerful things but they'll get the job done. They aint near as sad as ya think! If thats all ya got, dont hesitate to use it, you might be surprised!

Hollow points are good in a .22!
big_smile.png
Will bring a coyote down at 50 yards and running!

i have killed one coyote and four racoons so far with my measley little 22.
i consider the volume over accuracy theory when using a 22. you can sling a lot more lead in the air. Very important when trying to kill more than one animal at a time. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom