I fought a coyote over my dead rooster and lost, now it's returning every day.

Sadly trapping and/or killing it is your only real option. We have a large sounding (I've never seen the whole pack but you can hear them late at night) pack that runs the woods near my house. They stay away from our houses because my neighbor has taught them that any coyote who trespasses gets killed. It seems he has to teach them this lesson every year or so. I assume it's young ones who see and easy meal in our chickens and don't listen to their parents. Coyotes are smart animals are quickly figure out which places equal easy meal and which areas have gotten their friends killed.

I'd recommend using a live trap. I've caught a few coons who were going after my cat food that way. But you will have to disguise it. I would put one of your chicks (yeah I know that will be tough but that's his main target) in a cage and put the cage against the back of the trap. Be sure to get the chickens scent in the trap. An easy way would be a trail of it's feathers. Then cover the trap with material like rocks or I used items from my porch since the coons were coming on my porch. Be sure the materials aren't easily moved aside. The trap opening needs to be the only way in. Then all that's left is to wait. Since he is already passing into your territory you don't really have to worry about him being bothered by your scent. Or if you have a coop you can get into put the trap at the chicken entrance so it catches him as he sneaks in. Just be sure to hide the fact it's a trap. Like I said coyotes (and in my case coons) are extremely smart and will rarely just step in a trap.

A coyote got one of my ladies that I'd missed during round up the night before. I've felt horrible about it ever since (stupid me when running into the woods, unarmed, following a trail of feathers... not one of my brightest moments). Luckily about a week after our loss a neighbor up the road messaged me to let me know her neighbor had shot a coyote that morning. I still don't let my birds out unsupervised and make sure to count everyone when we put them back in. I think it had been coming back b/c for almost a week we were getting soft shell/ no shell eggs. Unfortunately I suspect we'll have reoccurring issues in the future.
I've seen suggestions of electrified fencing where some people have said they had success. Personally, I put 4x4 boards around my chicken wire to give it stability and to hopefully prevent something from digging under it, and their larger space is wooden snow fencing lined with chicken wire and covered with garden netting. While you say you aren't a good shot, I would consider asking a friend w a shot gun to come over and take care of it for you. The animal obviously has no fear of humans and that makes it a danger to you, your pets, and others. The fact that it's out so late in the day makes me wonder if it might have rabies (though that might be typical coyote behavior, idk).

We have had a minor coyote problem in the city for the last 12 years, they live in areas that didn't re inhabit quickly, as well as the 1200 acre park near our home. We have seen lone coyotes walk the streets at dusk, we haven't had problems with our chickens, however the city had to clean out a pack of coyotes that was eating peoples small dogs when they walked them in the north area of the park. They are sneaky, I really hope you see him and get him, I don't think they were trapped here.

Update:

Neighbor has confirmed seeing him still and is tracking him and is going to shoot him the next time he crosses the trail and he has been slowly depleting their numbers for years but stopped apparently because 5 years ago 3 lured a person's lab out (this was before we moved in so we had no idea) and killed it. So they thought they had culled all the coyotes all but 1 out of the area, and since no one had lost anything in the last few years we didn't realize their population had come back like this til mine, especially bold enough to dig under a 6 foot fence.

So I no longer have to worry about it and I worry even less because it's just a single male, it had a female but they've stopped producing so hopefully with his elimination and Ed's amazing gun work he'll be dead before the end of the week since they're actively pursuing him. Maybe with her male gone the female will evacuate to other territory on the mountain to find a new male and stay GONE.

Seconary Update: MY sister's poor hen had like 5 roosters from one sitting so she's allowing me to adopt one of her Roo's to replace mine and he's much much bigger than Chunk was. By like 3 pounds, so I am hoping his crows will be very loud the next time there's a problem and with the new coop we put down big wire steel mesh to go under the sides of the coop so digging will be impossible but the grass can still grow.

We are also putting up a third outer fence around where the horse is going to live that goes deepinto the dirt so we will -never- have this issue again even if they do come back.

Thank you all for sticking with me and making me feel alot better about this loss.

First.....take your time mourning and having grief. You should not in any way feel stupid. We have all been through this if we've had chickens for any amount of time. No matter how they die, it is just too hard sometimes. Having said that...when you're grieving is somewhat done...remember the good memories. His death was one day out of a life of living and loving which was many days. He knew love from you, he knew he was loved, he had an incredible life because of your love for him. As far as the coyote, the cages have to be big and they make them for coyotes but if you haven't had any problems before, may not be worth it to buy one. Though you might ask on your state forum if anyone has one you can borrow? Even ask someone on the Washington link what they have done about coyotes. Putting down hardware cloth about 2 feet and bringing it out about 2-3 feet deters digging. Electric works. This coyote is starving....for him to be coming out so boldly and doing the things he has done. He should be running from you when he sees you. I deal with them weekly, here on my farm. We carry 22's with us and shoot them whenever we see them. Poisoning may work. I have never tried that. Hopefully others can post what they have done. My heart hurts for your loss....but I'm so glad you raised him and he had a loving home.
That is the most heartfelt and sweetest reply. Made me feel better about losing my baby to a coyote. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom