I fought a coyote over my dead rooster and lost, now it's returning every day.

OMG, Howard, I am so sorry to hear that. We taught our's to never point a gun, even a toy, at a person from a very early age. And always tell an adult immediately if they saw a gun anywhere. Big believer in proper education, regardless of your 2nd ammendment beliefs

Last edited:
And thank all of you for not making fun of me for being upset about Chunk. Like my family has not been 100% supportive over me being attached to him because he's just 'a chicken' to them, to me him and Ginger were the first animals I've ever raised since birth.
LL-269.jpeg

A friend sent me this in my time of crisis and loss of my girls. I hope it comforts you as well.

I am so sorry for your loss... and wow, that must have been so scary and horrifying! I'm really glad you were not hurt.

Although there are lots of great suggestions here to choose from, I'd like to suggest that you ask around for someone in the area who is a good hunter. Then ask that person to please come and kill the coyote. Someone who is already a good shot, and who already has the equipment to properly, quickly and safely kill the coyote, seems like a better bet to me than trying to find a gun, practice with it etc. You might offer this person a freshly baked chocolate cake or whatever, perhaps even offer them money, I think this would be faster, more sure, more humane and much easier on you.

Best of luck, I hope the coyote is pushing up daisies very soon.

Maybe you can put an add on Craigslist asking for someone to come take care of the problem for you. If it cost anything, it would be cheaper than purchasing a firearm if you don't have the resources. I know in Texas, any farmer or rancher would gladly help you out.

I don't have much to offer in the way of advice, except to be vary wary of a coyote or coon or about any other wild animal that would allow you to get close enough to engage in hand to hand combat. That isn't normal and is an indication of an animal that is sick. Normally people think of rabies, but canine distemper is more likely. NEVER EVER get close enough to an animal like this you can touch it or allow it to bite you.

First, so sorry for you loss and such a traumatic experience!

I have to agree with Howard E. I too live in WA state and had experiences around coyotes, both on the East and West side of the state. I have noticed the coyotes on the west side are not nearly as human afraid as they are on the east side. I think most coyotes on the west side are urban so they are way more used to people, plus there are the idiots that decide to feed them which makes the situation worse.

That said, a coyote should still run from a human that is approaching it, let alone get close enough to physically battle it. Something is just not right with a wild animal that will allow that unless it is possibly defending its young.

In our case, we live rural on the west side of the state and are well armed and know how to use our guns so we always have one at the ready for the type of situation you described.

Since you're not a good shot, there have been many other good suggestions made on this thread that should work.

Have you talked with the neighbor whose calves have been attacked? Maybe they are willing to deal with the coyote since they too have a stake in its demise?

I'm also wondering that if you were to trap it live and take it to Fish and Game, wouldn't they most likely just let it go somewhere else? Would they actually dispatch it as a nuisance animal?

Again, so sorry for you loss and don't ever feel bad or guilty for mourning a pet. We feel what we feel when we experience the loss of a beloved pet because they so often really are part of the family.

In my area we have a coyote hunt club, they come and take care of the problem for free.
It is possible your area has similar just check with all the stores that sell ammo, the feed stores, or place an add on Craig's list. Our feed store has one of the hunt clubs cards on their services board.

Lots of good ideas, as usual here, but I think I would talk to the neighbors, or someone who does this as a community service, before I would advertise to pay a stranger to come to my house with a gun. Especially since you have kind let everyone here know, it's basicly just women at your home. No offense, I am not saying you can't take care of yourself, just be careful. Not all predators have feathers or fur.

Lots of good ideas, as usual here, but I think I would talk to the neighbors, or someone who does this as a community service, before I would advertise to pay a stranger to come to my house with a gun. Especially since you have kind let everyone here know, it's basicly just women at your home. No offense, I am not saying you can't take care of yourself, just be careful. Not all predators have feathers or fur.
That's a good point.

Back
Top Bottom