Cracked egg. Chick was alive 😩

Chiqualetta

Chirping
Jan 14, 2019
Missouri
*sigh*
Long story short.

Day 26:

Momma got off this egg and two others 2.5 days ago, All other eggs were hatched 4 days ago.
I whipped up a DIY incubator *tote, heating pad, damp towel and thermometer* as best as I could and put the 3 abandoned eggs in them in. Nothing.
I didn’t think the chick was even alive anymore, no piping, no noise, no movement when candling.

fast forward to 2 hours ago.

Cracked the egg. Chick was alive. Yolk sac mostly absorbed but lots of veins still attached to egg, which I left connected. Trying my best to keep everything moist and as warm as possible. I feel awful.
The chick is moving (not standing), still wet, eyes open and chirping.

I’m at a total loss on what I should do now.
26 DAYS?!?

please don’t make me feel any worse 😞 definitely wasn’t my intention to cause any harm.

Attachments

• DE590283-C227-421E-817B-EF02A4ACA618.jpeg
    DE590283-C227-421E-817B-EF02A4ACA618.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 30
I wouldn't really know anything about this. If your chick doesnt survive you know you did everything in your power. Make sure your other chicks are happy and healthy. We havent hatched our own yet but I do know the loss of chickens. Hope your little chick ends up being strong and healthy.
Much love
Bantam Life

*sigh*
Long story short.

Day 26:

Momma got off this egg and two others 2.5 days ago, All other eggs were hatched 4 days ago.
I whipped up a DIY incubator *tote, heating pad, damp towel and thermometer* as best as I could and put the 3 abandoned eggs in them in. Nothing.
I didn’t think the chick was even alive anymore, no piping, no noise, no movement when candling.

fast forward to 2 hours ago.

Cracked the egg. Chick was alive. Yolk sac mostly absorbed but lots of veins still attached to egg, which I left connected. Trying my best to keep everything moist and as warm as possible. I feel awful.
The chick is moving (not standing), still wet, eyes open and chirping.

I’m at a total loss on what I should do now.
26 DAYS?!?

please don’t make me feel any worse 😞 definitely wasn’t my intention to cause any harm.
Is the yolk intact? What is the temp under the pad? Just keep it warm. Don't offer any fluids, it doesn't need any. I have had chocks hatch on day 25, the temp was calibrated and correct, they were just late bloomers. It's ok. Good luck!

The temp has stayed around 96. Yolk is mostly absorbed. I can still see a small amount on belly but not hanging off by any means

That's honestly not too bad. I think it's going to be ok. I assisted one once (first hatch so I was inexperienced) and it hatched with a huge yolk and bled everywhere for hours. I thought it was surely going to die. My pics of him are on my laptop which died, otherwise I'd post them. It was bad though. Anyway, he's a big boy now, he pulled through just fine. Yours looks way better than mine. Mine was stained red from all the blood.

I’m hoping the vessels will recede overnight that’s what has me really concerned. The vessels attached are still pretty big, hopefully it’ll pull through. It may have to be a house chicken after all of this lol

The chick is up and moving 😳 I am actually shocked. It even took off running from me!

Gave some yolk last night and washed him (because I’m 100% sure it’s a rooster) off because he his feathers were hard and stuck to him. Band aid around his legs because he has slight splayed legs. 🤞🤞 he pulls through for me to cuss out for being a jerk later in his life lol

Back
Top Bottom