Cracked egg while candling? Eggs with spots, cull?- UPDATE- PICS

kupi99

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Help, I dropped an egg while I was candling it and it was good!
hit.gif
IS there anything I can do try and patch it and save it? I've heard a couple threads on here talk about patching cracked eggs. We're pretty far off, day 10.

I'm going to candle the rest of them now, but I'm really worrieed it was my only good egg after so much trouble with this incubation.
hit.gif

Any help ASAP would be great!

Last edited:
I would be curious to hear the answer to this also. My first instinct is that germs could/would enter the egg through the crack and cause the chick to die or be deformed. Hopefully for you, I am wrong. Goodluck.

Also, alot of the eggs had spots in them. Almost all of them had a dark band around them. I know the spots are possible signs of bacterial infections. Should I cull them to try and save the couple good eggs I have? Some of the ones with spots appeared to have something going on in there. Of course, they baby might be growing now, but not hatch later.

I do know I have one good one at least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Far cry from good hatch results, but something for my class at least!!!!!!
ya.gif

Posting pics (if you can) might help those with more knowledge. I would also either change the title to include the second problem or start a new thread for it.

When taking pics of candlings, shutoff the flash and use the macro setting.

I can get pics, but I worry about taking the eggs out of bator againt to candle them another time. Help from the old pros!
smile.png
Can I recandle the eggs in one day to get pics of them without having to worry about their loosing their heat?

Final count:
Out of 7, I had two I was sure were good. No spots, veins and moving. One of those is the one I cracked mentioned above.
One was clear, with a blood ring? I haven't opened the egg yet, but there's no chick in there for sure.

The remaining 4 all had spots pretty bad, and I couldn't tell if there was a living chick or not. I've had some temp spikes this hatch (one bad one over the weekend, I have no clue how long it lasted as my bator is at school). Form my research those spots are signs of baterical infections, should I pitch the eggs, even if it looks like its gotta chick to keep the one, maybe two good ones I have from getting sick, too?

Last edited:
I am interested in an answer about the spots on an egg. I have one egg that has spots all over when I candle. There is veining but alot of spots on the shell.

Spots is pretty nonspecific, can you describe them a bit more? Were are the spots? What do they look like? How big do they appear to be? As mentioned before, pics would be helpful
smile.png
I think it is pretty hard to determine exactly what the spots are without being able to see them.
smile.png

PICS! Ok, so here are my eggs:

27330_picture_046.jpg

This is best pic of the worst one. All the others with spots are similar to this one, with less spots, and they are not as large.
Another pic, same egg:

27330_picture_042.jpg

27330_picture_068.jpg

This is a different egg with the same problem. Here is another (not so good) pic of that egg:

27330_picture_066.jpg

Issues I have had with this hatch that are most likely causing lots to go wrong: One a killer spike of 114 over the first weekend after the eggs were set while I was home and the bator was at work. It stormed that weekend, and I think that's what caused the bator to go nuts. I'm mostly hoping my thermo was just off. I did not touch the dial before this spike, after getting the themp set (yes, I have LG). It's been an all out battle after this to get the temp steady. It's constantly low in the morings (98.7-98.9 range) when I come into work. I am using blankets trying to keep the bator warm, rather than touch the dial. We had one more spike when I covered the whole bator with a blanket over night in effort to get the temp steady in morning, and it was 101.something when I came in the next day. Plus, the humidty won't hold. It is now day 10.

Needless to say, things aren't going well, and things aren't looking good for a good hatch as it stands. I do know I at least have a two eggs alive right now. I saw the embryo moving, and in one I saw veins. I had a third, but its the one I cracked (that's why I was so upsett when it did crack). I've put wax on it, but I'm not expecting much. I'll candle it again at day 18. Any advice on what do with these eggs, mostly to give the few good ones I got the best chance. It looks like a bacteria infection from what I can on other candling posts/sites with pics, but this is (clearly) my first hatch, and I'm not sure.

I must say this is much harder than it looks! Any help from peps with experience would be appericated!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom