Cracked egg

Coreenelane

Songster
Feb 22, 2016

So, in the last 2 weeks I have read anything and everything I could find about incubators and hatching, development and eggs exploding. I found a cracked egg shell a couple of days ago and after candeling today I decided to take it out because the cracks were getting bigger. I also took out an egg that didn't have any veins showing (this was a white shell) and today is the 8 th day in the incubator. When do bad eggs start exploding? I also after the fact thought about using plastic wrap on part of the egg. So I will post a pic of the cracked egg for others to see what was inside. In the home made incubator that is housing a school science project I could see blob moving even though I held the egg still and was sure there was no movement on my part. The temp. has been all over the place and none of the thermometers read the same or close. This hatching stuff is really worrisome to me.

I have never had an egg explode from being in the incubator and they have been in there for 20 plus days. I do not have much experience on hatching but if the temp. is all over the place they may not hatch. Temp. needs to stay stable and around 99.5. Good luck on the rest of the hatch.

I had an egg with a crack and it looked like stuff was oozing out of it. Someone told me the egg was about to explode, and when I looked it up online, sure enough, cracks with ooze is a sure sign of an egg about to explode. I foolishly cracked the egg open to look inside and it just showed an embryo that had stopped growing, but on hindsight I should just have double bagged the egg, thrown it away, and called it a day. A rotten egg can stink up your house.

Have you visited the raising-happy-chickens.com site? She offers so much information on candling. On her site she says eggs tend to explode on day 12. She also suggests that if you aren't sure what you are looking at when you candle, just hold on to the egg till day 12. If by Day 12 you don't see anything, throw it out. I took her advice with some eggs that were questionable on day 8 and sure enough by day 12 it was really obvious which ones were developing and which ones weren't. But that advice is for eggs that aren't cracked.

I say don't risk it, throw away the cracked egg and hope your other eggs develop!

Back
Top Bottom