cracked eggs

I am having the same issue, when one of my hens lays an egg the pointy end gets cracked.  I like the welcome mat idea and i might try it. My girls are on laying mash and oyster shells and this didn't start happening until about a week ago.  they are barely cracked but I haven't been keeping the eggs, I probably could but I give them to my pot belly pig,she could probably use the extra calcium since she is pregnant(surprise surprise).
I had the same problem. I have a lip but they will still get it down to the wood. I've taken to stuffing it almost to the point they might not fit then after about a week I need to add more to the boxes. But once I started crazy stuffing the nesting boxes my eggs stopped cracking.

I switched from straw to wood shavings in my nest boxes because I was having the same problem. It helped alot but I still have to keep up and add shavings once in a while. I do notice that with the shavings, the eggs are much cleaner when I gather them.

I'm having the same issues!! my chickens hate hate hate bedding in their coop... what does the cumin do? Can you still eat the egg? I would hate to waste it...

Back
Top Bottom