[Solved] I turned a cracked hatching egg

Chlaudi

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2022
One of our hens stopped brooding a couple of eggs for seemingly no reason so we took them in to a makeshift incubator.
Thing is that we aren't sure when they were laid, so we've just been turning them every day.
One of the eggs that ended up getting cracked (and repaired with candle wax) has started chirping a lot today. But since we've turned him past day 18 we're worried that he won't know where to pip, and because the egg was cracked previously, it might not even be possible to see where he's pipped because it will kind of blend in with the other cracks.

Does anyone have any advice? It's a pretty weird situation.
Worst comes to worst I think I might make a pip for him and carefully remove parts of the shell, keep the membrane moist, and try to see if he can't hatch on his own this way like I've seen from videos. Bad idea?

I would just stop turning, leave the eggs be and let them do their thing without making any holes. Chicks naturally know to (in most, but not all cases) pip where the air cell is regardless of how the egg was turned (again there are always exceptions). Turning is really only to keep it from sticking to one side initially and if turned a little late it should not affect where the chick pips. When it pips even with the cracks it should be noticeable because the shell pieces when pipped push out.

I would just stop turning, leave the eggs be and let them do their thing without making any holes. Chicks naturally know to (in most, but not all cases) pip where the air cell is regardless of how the egg was turned (again there are always exceptions). Turning is really only to keep it from sticking to one side initially and if turned a little late it should not affect where the chick pips. When it pips even with the cracks it should be noticeable because the shell pieces when pipped push out.
Hey Wisps thanks a ton for your helpful reply.
Well what I should have mentioned is that a very small hole from the crack penetrated the membrane. So the air would escape I would imagine. It's on the bottom of the egg where I think the air pocket is. He's been doing good for the last 24 hours but, would this interfere with the hatching process?

Thanks very much again

Well we woke up this morning and found a surprise, the little guy ended up hatching despite the challenges! You really do have to trust the process I guess. Thanks again for your advice Wisps

309462984_504030881149307_8878295760227278263_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom