Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

. I don't understand the difference. I always thought "autosexing" was the same as a "sex linked" traits

They are different.

Autosexing is a trait that can be passed on from generation to generation continuously.

Sexlink occurs when you use the correct 2 parents and a genetic trait is only passed onto the first generation and does not continue after that.

Your cross creates a sexlink.

Last edited:
nicalandia,

Here's what I was told over on the SFH thread. I've had black-based birds, like Australorps and Jersey Giants, that had some white tipping on the juvenile feathers so I was not sure if this was at play or if it really was mottling from the SFH.

Erica,

IMHO, you definitely have a cream legbar for a father for this chick. If you look closely at what in a SFH would be called blue feathering, you will see marking across the blue feathers. This is actually barring from the cream legbar. I have done some cream legbar hybrids and started a thread for them. The barring is dominant and will come through on both males and females. While SFH operate on a black, blue, & splash base, they have lots of other colors overlaid upon that base. While I am not a geneticist, I believe that SFH also have the mottling gene but I am not sure of its dominance (@Ki4got can give us some good input on this). You will also see the face of this chick is very different from a SFH and aligns more like a cream legbar than a SFH.

I have wanted to try some cream legbar SFH hybrids for a project. Thank you for the pictures, however unintentional your project was.
wink.png
But this little pullet will lay a light green egg since the blue egg gene is dominant and the SFH will overlay a little bit of brown onto the blue.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/825092/cream-legbar-hybrid-thread

Tony

I guess I'll know for sure when it starts laying if it's a pullet. I suppose I'll stop back in when my current batch in the incubator hatches in a few weeks.

@nicalandia I'm not 100% following you on this. Guess I should read up on chicken genetics ! Feel free to educate me :)
they are what you call a Sexlinked Cross, not Autosexing,

WHY? the Male side of the cross, lacks sex linked barring(buff columbians are not barred right?) so they can not pass barring to their doughters, they cant do it because well they dont have it..

the female side of this cross is barred, but it can ONLY pass her only barring gene to her male chicks, and since She Cant pass her sexlinked barring gene to her daughters, the daughters wont be barred...

so again its a Sexlinked cross because the males will be barred(showing a headspot) and females wont be barred at all

nicalandia,

Here's what I was told over on the SFH thread. I've had black-based birds, like Australorps and Jersey Giants, that had some white tipping on the juvenile feathers so I was not sure if this was at play or if it really was mottling from the SFH.
Mottling is Recessive, will not show as extencive as is showing on that pullet,

They are different.

Autosexing is a trait that can be passed on from generation to generation continuously.

Sexlink occurs when you use the correct 2 parents and a genetic trait is only passed onto the first generation and does not continue after that.

Your cross creates a sexlink.
now what do you suppose will happen if I crossed that b pullet back with his mother?

Now what do you suppose will happen if I cross that pullet back with his mother ?

Do you mean if you crossed the new rooster chick back to his mother?

I believe all chicks will be barred and you will no longer be able to visibly see gender difference at hatch. I also believe the chicks of that cross back will lay green-blue/green eggs.

they are what you call a Sexlinked Cross, not Autosexing, 

WHY? the Male side of the cross, lacks sex linked barring(buff columbians are not barred right?) so they can not pass barring to their doughters, they cant do it because well they dont have it..

the female side of this cross is barred, but it can ONLY pass her only barring gene to her male chicks, and since She Cant pass her sexlinked barring gene to her daughters, the daughters wont be barred...

so again its a Sexlinked cross because the males will be barred(showing a headspot) and females wont be barred at all
the father is a Buff Brahama NOT a Columbian

Back
Top Bottom